cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account Ntlworld - failure to reinstate on Ipad - Is it me?

Sacers
On our wavelength

In our Ntlworld email account two days ago on a newish iPad and it went haywire. All we could access were emails back in 2017. A restart of the iPad didn't cure it, so we removed the account with the intention of a reinstal - not, as it transpires, the best of decisions.

Adding the account back in proved impossible. After entering the a/c password, we got the message "No password provided for "Ntlworld". Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password." We then went round in a loop for several failed attempts.

Desperate situations require desperate measures - and that's what contacting the Virgin help desk feels like to us!

A lengthy conversation followed with an agent, when it was not clear that he entirely understood the problem, or knew the solution. The outcome was a change of password by Virgin when we declined the offer of a new email address. This failed to cure the problem and we were told to expect a call from the security team within 5 days. It was suggested that suspicious activity had been detected on our account. In the meantime Virgin asked for an alternative email address for them to communicate with us, so just as well we have a Hotmail a/c as fall-back.

Later that day we received an email to the Hotmail a/c from the Virgin Media team asking us to reset the password. We were hopeful that meant the security team had OK'd our account, but we couldn't face any more stress that day. The next morning, I clicked on the link to change the password, but it had expired! It would have been helpful had Virgin indicated the link was time-limited.

So......another call to the help desk asking them to re-send the email to reset the password, followed by another lengthy conversation, which failed to get to the bottom of the problem. We asked if the security team had looked at the issue - and were told there was no record of recent suspicious activity on our account!

For reasons which aren't clear to us, our old Virgin Media password still gets us in to our email account on the Virgin web site, but neither that, nor the new password given us by Virgin allows us to add the account to our iPad.

The other wonder is that notwithstanding the password change we are still able to access our 'Virgin' email on an old iPad and a Samsung mobile (where we have not changed the email account password). Which got me wondering whether the problem might be with the newer iPad?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sacers For email clients such as Outlook the username is the full Ntlworld email address together with the generated app password.

Depending on which version of outlook you are using you may need to delete the email account first and then add it back again for the new credentials to be accepted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sacers
On our wavelength

Graham - thanks yet again - it worked after a 'repair' in Outlook and have received the test message back confirming.

I feel a glass of wine is necessary!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sacers Good to read that you have had success.  These security enhancements implemented by VM have caused a lot of issues, not least because they haven't notified email users of the changes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am having a similar issue. 4 days ago I became aware that emailed sent from my ntlworld account from an ipad on OS 17.4.01 where not being delivered to the recipient. There were  20 stuck in the outbox. Nothing I did would clear the messages. I have attempted to reinstall my ntlworld email account following the advice above and nothing is working. I have iCloud, gmail, hotmail and another ntlworld account on Apple Mail and they are working ok. In fact I removed and reinstalled  the hotmail account to prove I could, works pefectly. I have used the 20 letter security code provided with and without hyphens and get the same message as the OP re password. Today I  spent 2 hours on the phone to virgin in India and I still have had no solution from them. If I get another 20 letter code generated there is zero guarantee it will work and that will effect all my other machines with working emails. 

Unfortunately that  does not  work for apple mail

Hey @BT7,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear about your issue, we can see you have posted on multiple threads with regards to this, what I have done is replied to your main thread here, we ask that you keep your responses to one thread otherwise it can cause confusion with  our responses, please get back to me on the main thread.

Joe