cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Authentication Issue

mingsy
Up to speed

Hi,

I'm the main account holder and my wife uses a secondary email account. A few months back I went through the process of changing my account login email (to a non virgin address) and set up a new email password for myself.

My wife now needs to do the same thing but the verification link for her non virgin login has expired, after some issues yesterday, and we cant get a new link to verify it?

7 REPLIES 7

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you need the verification link resent try the following workaround:

1. submit a different Sign in Email Address
    For example, test@example.com — in this case there is no server running for the message to be delivered to, i.e. mail delivery fails and is returned to sender.
  2. resubmit the original Sign in Email Address and this time keep the page open until you receive the verification link email

FYI are you using a sub-address as your new Sign in Email Address, i.e. john.smith@ gmail.com? There is an issue with using sub-addresses that results in them arriving in an expired state

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

mingsy
Up to speed

"FYI are you using a sub-address as your new Sign in Email Address, i.e. john.smith@ gmail.com? There is an issue with using sub-addresses that results in them arriving in an expired state" - So what's the fix then? Everybody is being forced into using a non virgin email address to sign in so this needs to be sorted.

I can't create a new email password for the ntl account as Virgin want the sign in email changed. I attempted to change the sign in to an outlook address but I cant verify it as the email expired.

This is getting urgent now as my wife is receiving extortion emails and one of them actually tells her what her current email password is and we cant change it!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry, the sub-address should have read john.smith+sub_address@ gmail.com; sub-address part is shown in red — verification link sent to such addresses immediately expire. There is no workaround to this other than not to use a sub-address.

To obtain a new verification link you will need to use the workaround previously suggested; namely change the Sign in Email Address to another and then immediately repeat the process but this time with the address you wish to use; do not close the browser tab until verification process is completed in case you need to resend verification link.

mingsy
Up to speed

OK. A sub-address wasn't being used.

I cant change use another email address as it doesn't work, i get a message saying you cant change the email as another change is pending. It also tells me to follow the verification email link that has expired.

mingsy
Up to speed

This is now resolved but the process was far more convoluted than it needs to be.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read the issue is resolved. Would you be able to post what the solution was in case?

Hello mingsy, 

Sorry to hear of the problems but we're pleased to hear these have now been resolved. If you need us in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out via the forums.

Rob