cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E Mail Accounts and Passwords (again)

vmforumlogin
On our wavelength

Can anyone help. 

I have a blueyonder e mail address (abcd1234@blueyonder.co.uk) that was given to me by Telewest and is my Account Username.   Over the years I created 5 further sub emails (for the family) one of which was the primary blueyonder e mail address. Then when Virginmedia arrived I created a VM e mail address. 

Each e mail could be used separately in e mail clients such as Outlook.   However, the sub blueyonder e mails started to get a lot of spam and were probably hacked so I asked VM to delete them but they couldn't so I just deleted the accounts from the Clients and don't use them anymore even though they do still exist and their e mail traffic can be seen on VMs web mail interface. 

Using apps such as Android Mail and GMail I set up and can receive e mails from the Virginmedia e mail address only.  I did this however at a time when VM allowed you to create separate e mail accounts as well as manage the passwords for each.

I now want to set up a separate Outlook Account on a new PC and have gone through the process of entering my VM e mail address but have forgotten my password for that e mail account so I followed VMs published guidance https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account#device and generated another "app password".   Problem is that it seems from the info on my e mail account management page and the page that generates the app password that the only e mail address and therefore the one that VM are generating a new password for is the old primary blueyonder e mail address.

I still did it however, and tried to set up my Virginmedia e mail that hasn't worked but what has happened is that if I use the Telewest e mail / username and new generated password I am now receiving all of the e mails being sent under the sub blueyonder and primary blueyonder e mail addresses that I don't want to use but still not seeing anything associated with the VM e mail address. 

Any ideas.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A number of different issues mentioned in your post. 

Following the merger of NTL and Telewest after their purchase of Virgin mobile leading to the rebranding as Virgin Media a random blueyonder email address was selected as the primary username.  In my case this was an alias address rather than the Telewest generated username.  I suspect that the same happened to your account.

A recent security change made by VM means that the primary account holder can only delete secondary accounts rather than being able to generate new passwords.  Each VM or Blueyonder email address now has its own My Virgin Media account where changes to account details, passwords, telephone security answers and app generated passwords are created.  To access this you need to be signed out of any other VM accounts before signing back in with the email address concerned.

In order to access the secondary accounts via an email client such as Outlook you will need to generate an app specific for that email address.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A number of different issues mentioned in your post. 

Following the merger of NTL and Telewest after their purchase of Virgin mobile leading to the rebranding as Virgin Media a random blueyonder email address was selected as the primary username.  In my case this was an alias address rather than the Telewest generated username.  I suspect that the same happened to your account.

A recent security change made by VM means that the primary account holder can only delete secondary accounts rather than being able to generate new passwords.  Each VM or Blueyonder email address now has its own My Virgin Media account where changes to account details, passwords, telephone security answers and app generated passwords are created.  To access this you need to be signed out of any other VM accounts before signing back in with the email address concerned.

In order to access the secondary accounts via an email client such as Outlook you will need to generate an app specific for that email address.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi VMforumlogin👋 welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear these concerns regarding your Email access. 

It does sound as though you have been following the correct process outlined here 👉 How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help for setting up your email address with a client mail app, using the 'password generator'.  

It's also worth noting that we’re making a change to the way customers log in to their My Virgin Media account, meaning customers who sign in using a Virgin Media Mail email address will be asked to change their username. They’ll need to use an email address personal to them from another provider, for example Microsoft Outlook or Gmail from Google. You can also read about this in the link posted above, or in the help page on My VM access here 👉 How to manage my account | Virgin Media Help

It would be worth ensuring that your My VM login is updated to be a non-VM email address, which you can do via My VM directly in your 'Account settings > Account details' section. 

You should also be able to delete any secondary email accounts from My VM directly in 'Account settings' too, which will list any secondary accounts if you wish to delete them. 

I can offer assistance in checking which accounts are linked, and how you are able to access them via which My VM account by sending you a PM and confirming a few details. I will do this for you now - you can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Hello Graham

Thank you very much for your reply.  I think I understand what you are saying so will give it a go. 

Cheers

Hello Molly

Thank you also for getting back to me.  I have changed my VM login username so all good there.  I may need your help once I've investigated further.  Will PM if I do.

Thanks

Please let us know how you get on @vmforumlogin and if you need any further help 🙂

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs