cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to resubscribe to TNT Sports. What?

Shugg
Superfast

I got this email from Virgin today:

We wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we provide TNT Sports channels in order to continue to provide the best value entertainment packages for our customers. We’ve noticed that you haven’t viewed these channels in the last 6 months, and therefore we’re removing automatic access to them from 30th June 2024. Don’t worry, nothing else is changing. If you wish to re-activate TNT Sports, you can click here for more information.

It does appear to be genuine but wth, they're saying they'll remove some channels and not reduce the price of my package. Why would anyone agree to that? Just like I haven't watched any of the shopping channels. Does this mean I then have to click through every channel every so often? What nonsense.

85 REPLIES 85

FortyTwo
Tuning in

I got the below email today - what does it mean?  I pay for Sky Sports - we don't watch any sport other than my wife watches golf.  I am happy to lose all sport other than golf, in an ideal world I would like NOT to pay for soccer etc., and just pay for golf.  All that said, if I am paying £20 a month and that is not going to reduce - why would lose channels?

Hello
We wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we provide TNT Sports channels in order to continue to provide the best value entertainment packages for our customers. We’ve noticed that you haven’t viewed these channels in the last 6 months, and therefore we’re removing automatic access to them from 30th June 2024. Don’t worry, nothing else is changing. If you wish to re-activate TNT Sports, you can click here for more information.
Thanks
The Virgin Media team

I got this email today.  I filled in the form. Nowhere does it say I will be entering a new contract and it explicitly says that I won't be charged extra. If this turns out not to be true then you can expect a very, very strongly worded complaint and further action.

donhay
On our wavelength

@goslow that link takes you to the start of this very thread??

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@donhay wrote:

@goslow that link takes you to the start of this very thread??

My post started life in the 'Community Natter' forum on a topic by FortyTwo (now listed above) and the moderators have merged it into this one which is why it refers back to itself!

Virgin stopped  Maxit for new contracts or recontracting to save money, they pay WBD pay per subscriber regardless of whether someone watches or not.

WBD want to keep the existing terms, Virgin wants to pay less

Martin_14
Tuning in

One source said the companies were in “hot dispute” as Virgin Media was seeking a significant price reduction for the new three-year deal, while TNT is trying to maintain the existing terms. Virgin Media is understood to have argued that its cost per subscriber has risen sharply due to declining viewing figures on the channel.

If the two sides fail to strike a deal, Virgin Media customers will lose access to TNT Sports when the current deal expires at the end of July "

TNT, which rebranded from BT Sport last year, owns the rights to Premier League and Champions League football matches, as well as Premiership Rugby games. The channel, which combines BT’s sport offering with WBD’s Eurosport, also offers a host of other sports, including MotoGP, WWE, French Open tennis and this year’s Olympic Games in Paris.

It is understood that access to Eurosport is not affected by the negotiations, meaning the Olympics will still be available to viewers regardless of the outcome.

Virgin Media customers can watch TNT thanks to a so-called carriage deal between the two companies, which sees the pay-TV provider pay a fee to offer the channel to subscribers.

However, Virgin sparked anger last year when it removed the channel from its TV bundles, meaning it is now a paid add-on.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/06/22/virgin-media-football-tnt-premier-league/

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FortyTwo wrote:

I got the below email today - what does it mean?  I pay for Sky Sports

This thread is discussing TNT Sports. Sky Sports are a different broadcaster.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So why haven't I heard anything regarding the renewal form I submitted over 48 hours ago?

Is there a community moderator which could look into my account further please?

Complaint reference: C-290624105

Hello Dean Mason,  

We’ve got your complaint about the issues you’ve been experiencing recently.

Thanks so much for taking the time to get in touch.

We’ll look into it and get back to you with what we find and hopefully agree on a resolution with you. We’ll try to do this as quickly as we can, but please give us up to 28 days to look into things properly.

We’re really sorry that we haven’t lived up to what you expect from us and we’ll do everything we can to put things right.

What happens next?

Your case will be assigned to a member of our team and they’ll take care of it from beginning to end.

They’ll look into your complaint and the issues you’ve raised. They might also give you a quick ring or text first to find out more information before they get started – so please keep an eye on your phone to not miss it.

If they can’t reach you, they’ll write to you with an offer of a resolution and you’ll have 28 days to respond and chat through things before they close your complaint.

If you’re not completely on board with the resolution they offer, you’ll have the choice to escalate it to a manager by following our Customer Resolution Code of Practice. Just let us know and we can show you how it works. See more on this here.

You can also keep tabs on the progress of your complaint online through your My Virgin Media account here.

We’ll be in touch soon.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Hi @dmason197 

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

Sorry to hear you have caused for complaint.

If you've raised a complaint with the team they'll look into that but if there is anything you require our assistance with, please do let us know.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs