cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection and 200m Away from Main Road - What cable to self lay please?

Blindside
Joining in

Hello

Happy New Year!

We moved into our new home in Dec 2020 and had the new installation Virgin team visit. Unfortunately, the house had never had Virgin installed and the reason for that is that is that it is 200M from the main road and nearest box.

The installation team were great and suggested that if we could get cable down to the main road ourselves they would have a chance of connecting us to the existing infrastructure.

This week we have had the gas people round replacing the gas pipe/supply to the house and took the opportunity to place some conduit in the ground after the gas people did all the digging across our field and down the local, adjoining lane.

So my questions please are:

1 What cable should I pull through the underground conduit to future proof this install as much as possible taking into consideration it's length of approx 200m.

2 There is another house next to us, do we have to pull 2 x cable through the conduit or just one that can then be split between the 2 houses in some way?

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!

Rob

2 REPLIES 2

VM-Jon
Problem sorter

Hi Rob,

Thank you for reaching out to us here. It’s great that you’re considering joining us.

We would only ever use our own cable. My advice would be to have a rope put through the conduit so any installation team could use that to pull a new cable of ours  through. I will drop you a private message and see what we can do to support you.

thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

mda99das
Up to speed

For 200m away you would need something like RG11 cable and that's normally done by a prepull team. Amphenol is the supplier of VM cable.