cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left VM for now

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As of the 9th my VM circuit has ceased to be, so I have left the fold for the second time.

Nothing to do with the service, I was lucky and very, very rarely had any issues with my broadband supply.  Most likely because I was always in modem mode  😉

Now running BT on FTTP 500/70 as the sole supply for broadband.

For the curious here's a wired speed test, I couldn't not do one, could I?  🙂

BT_SPEED_02.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

39 REPLIES 39

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

goslow
Alessandro Volta

No issues at all with my BT FTTP connection for the last 2+ years. VM now looks like a very poor alternative in my area while waiting for their fibre rollout to get under way.

Am now being bombarded with offers from Lit fibre who are new to the area and significantly cheaper than BT (after 2 years of BT baked-in price rises).

Do you both now also haunt the BT equivalent of this site 😊

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

The BT equivalent (also on the Khoros platform) is pretty dull by comparison to the exciting, unusual and inexplicable things that happen on here regularly!

There also seems to be a much-reduced turnover of topics on there in comparison to here (presumably because BT's other means of support contact actually work!).

I have had no reason myself to contact BT support for anything so far.

unisoft
Knows their stuff

@Number-6 wrote:

@goslow wrote:

The BT equivalent (also on the Khoros platform) is pretty dull by comparison to the exciting, unusual and inexplicable things that happen on here regularly!

There also seems to be a much-reduced turnover of topics on there in comparison to here (presumably because BT's other means of support contact actually work!).

I have had no reason myself to contact BT support for anything so far.

What? Surely BT don’t employ competent, knowledgable customer service staff?

Well who would have thought it, I assumed the way to go was to outsource your CS support to a generic third world call centre, employing staff whose only qualification was that they were actually alive, could read a script on a screen and make stuff up if required?

Well colour me shocked, obviously BT are doomed!

Trust me they don't! When ringing for my mother at her address about contract leaving/renewal over a year ago, some woman working from home with a kid screaming in the background. Another time, when there was a fault on FTTP and the red light was on the ONT, completely clueless and insisting on connecting a BT router. No router in the world would make a red light on the ONT come back from the dead. The ONT is network side of the equation.

The FTTP service overall though has been pretty good since she had it from 2019 and lives in middle of a farm field, but she will change to Cityfibre as they are currently doing the work, and they are symmetric download and upload and cheaper as she can go on a slower download but still get the same speed on the upload - unlike BT's FTTP offerings. VM's HFC network stops just short of the address 1 mile away on a singular road with grass verges, but they never bothered as not high density housing or village of housing as in between two villages.

unisoft
Knows their stuff

@Adduxi wrote:

As of the 9th my VM circuit has ceased to be, so I have left the fold for the second time.

Nothing to do with the service, I was lucky and very, very rarely had any issues with my broadband supply.  Most likely because I was always in modem mode  😉

Now running BT on FTTP 500/70 as the sole supply for broadband.

For the curious here's a wired speed test, I couldn't not do one, could I?  🙂

BT_SPEED_02.jpg

And even though BT are using legacy GPON rather than XGS-PON (which VM's Nexfibre use incidentally), those speeds mirror my mother's BT FTTP for that package tier, although her ping times are like 5ms, even though she lives in middle of a farm field. She gets around 513mbps anytime of day and somewhere around 69-71mbps for upload. Downfall of BT is not doing symmetric, but mother is lucky as Cityfibre doing work and will be just days away from be able to change to their symmetric services. So flaky ADSL Max until 2019 that went every time there was high winds and torrential rain and now she will have two FTTP providers; would never have seen that coming as till last minute, BT and BDUK could not say "when" back in the day. Then BT suddenly came out and did the work whilst the village down the road had to wait, although they had Superfast BB via FTTC for a while before. Cityfibre doing work there now, whilst no sign of BT doing FTTP there yet, although they have committed to doing it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BT are similar to VM in that they will insist on the Home Hub being used for any troubleshooting, even when the ONT supply is dead.   My HH is still in the box unopened as it's not needed, I have my own networking kit, but available.  That's one bonus with Openreach installs, most FTTP suppliers allow 3rd party kit to be attached.  The other bonus is with the Openreach infrastructure in place, it opens up a lot more ISPs to choose from.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

unisoft
Knows their stuff

@Adduxi wrote:

BT are similar to VM in that they will insist on the Home Hub being used for any troubleshooting, even when the ONT supply is dead.   My HH is still in the box unopened as it's not needed, I have my own networking kit, but available.  That's one bonus with Openreach installs, most FTTP suppliers allow 3rd party kit to be attached.  The other bonus is with the Openreach infrastructure in place, it opens up a lot more ISPs to choose from.

Yep, but most of the ALTNETS allow your own kit too. The one thing where BT is slightly better is you get a dynamic IP that is routable by Dynamic DNS whereas most of the ALTNETS are CGNAT and don't give a routable IP address from internet. With most though, you can usually pay a little extra for static IPv4 address or a number offer IPv6 as well, but people in that situation would most likely want IPv4. Some of them intend to go wholesale like Netomnia/You Fibre, and CityFibre is already a wholesale provider.

I am hoping to go only fibre broadband next June.

Just my mom likes phone line. 

Hope by then there is better mobile signal around us. So can move to fibre broadband only and use mobile phone instead of landline