cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Virgin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had enough of Virgin and have decided to leave. One question: is it best to get internet set up with another provider first (I'm planning to move to Sky), and then formally notify Virgin OR  tell Virgin I'm leaving in 30 days, and get Sky to connect up before the 30 days?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depends how much you're willing to pay for two connections for the whole 30day notice period.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depends how much you're willing to pay for two connections for the whole 30day notice period.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I left VM recently and overlapped the connections, and it was well worth it due to a brief teething issue on my new FTTP connection.  Because you still need to give 30 days notice to VM, then if you allow a week of the new connection before serving 30 days notice to VM, that's five weeks or so of paying for duplicate connections.  Realistically, a loss of service on an Openreach connection should be resolved in two-three working days, so if the installation date is met, then your calculation is whether five weeks of VM bills is worth paying to avoid a potential three day loss of service?  Of course, if the new connection is delayed eg due to blocked ducts or a need to repull your Openreach line, delays could be longer but with an overlap you aren't inconvenienced at all as you haven't started your 30 days.  

Personally I'd always recommend overlapping, but I'm in the position that the £60-70 that it cost me was a justifiable and affordable insurance against the wrath of the remainder of the household.  A cheaper alternative but with less surety against a delayed install would be to start VM's 30 days notice so that there's two weeks overlap - and usually you can defer a planned VM disconnection during your notice period.

brentrobbo
Dialled in

Just ensure that Virgin record your termination and ask for written confirmation (which I’m still awaiting). After a three hour telephone call a nd then one of 15 minutes I discovered that none of the three advisers had completed the necessary paperwork and my termination wasn’t recorded.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I would send any cancellation notice in writing, and use recorded delivery.  I wouldn't trust doing it over the phone to CS.