cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch up/on demand dropping constantly

Markom74
On our wavelength

Since day one I’ve had nothing but problems with Virgin. If it wasn’t slow internet or constant drop outs it was the Virgin Go app not working.

all of this was bad enough, but watching on demand services, catch up and Netflix is impossible. Programmes drop out after about 5-10 minutes. It’s so bad we’ve bought a Firestick to watch.

Error code 01119

not good enough. We’ve done all the resets, updates etc. the service is getting poorer by the month.

our contract is up in January and we will be looking at alternatives if huge improvements aren’t made.

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Markom74 

Error code 01119 is a BBC iPlayer error code, which may be due to using a VPN 

https://www.howtowatchinuk.co.uk/bbc-iplayer/error-code-01119/   

Are you seeing the VM /tv-error-code/c119 ?

Clicking on the above link will take you step by step through to help remedy it.

The V6 box works best with an ethernet connection, however if you are using wifi then it's best to connect to the 2.4Ghz band. Although the 5Ghz connection is faster it doesn't travel as far and you don't need the speed for the V6 connection. < This post > explains how to separate the bands.

You say you are suffering from 'slow internet or constant drop outs'. Is that just wired connections or also hard wired (ethernet) connections?  The following page shows the hard wired speeds you should be receiving on a hard wired connection. https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speeds 

If you aren't getting those speeds then you should crerate a post in the broadband forum detailing your internet issues.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi there,

It’s all on demand services and iPlayer works perfectly on the Firestick. No VPN either. I’ll connect it to 2.4ghz.

My V6 box downstairs is hard wired to the router too, upstairs isn’t and seems to work better for some reason. The box that’s dropping out is the one that’s hard wired. 

we do get the C119 error too regularly. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be worth swapping the Ethernet cable and port on your router - to eliminate issues there.

Also swap the boxes around, see if the issue remains.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Markom74
On our wavelength

Thanks for getting back everyone. Just dropped again after an hour. iPlayer error 02104 this time but the connection dropped prior to this.

Changed Ethernet port and also connected to 2.4ghz.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What was the result of swapping the two boxes around locations?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Markom74
On our wavelength

Hi buddy.

It didn’t make any difference. Switched to the 2.4ghz connection too and it keeps dropping. Getting a 602 error with all on demand services too now. 

I really appreciate your help by the way. Thank you.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Markom74 wrote:

My V6 box downstairs is hard wired to the router too, upstairs isn’t and seems to work better for some reason. The box that’s dropping out is the one that’s hard wired.

So when you say the box-swap "didn't make any difference", what do you mean? Did the fault move with the box? Or remain with the location?

Markom74
On our wavelength

@japitts

The fault moved with the box.

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you are still facing issues with your TV on the 2nd box and all tried has not resolved this, so I can help and arrange a technician if required I will send you an invite into a private chat, look out for the white envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.