cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV picture is distorted on all channels and apps

leigh2538
Joining in

1000018087.jpg

 anyone what's causing this, it's keeps happening every couple of weeks. Last time I removed the ethernet cable and it's went back to normal. Rebooted the TV box and router and checked all the cables and no change. 

7 REPLIES 7

ozsat
Superstar

It sounds like a dodgy connection. Try wiggling the thick signal cable to see if that has any effect.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried a different HDMI cable and/or port?

The VM set top box is possibly overheating which won't help. It needs to be in an open space.

The white coaxial needs to be snug and tight and free from any kinks.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that picture on live TV? Does OnDemand/streaming make any difference? I'd expect the former but worth a check.

The two have different sources - might just make a difference in underlying cause.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Messed around with all the cables last night and somehow managed to get it back on. Turned it on this morning and it's the same again. I've just swapped it over with my other box as that works fine in the other room and its the same so I'm thinking it's a problem with the white virgin cable that causing it.

Hi leigh2538

Welcome to the Community Forums. Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing some issues with your TV signal and quality. We'd really like to help.

I've tried to take a look at your signal levels and run some diagnostics on our side, however your TV box is showing as unreachable currently, which usually means it's either not connected to the internet or is switched off. When you get the chance to, can you please ensure that it is switched on so we can run some checks 😊

There are no known issues in your area from what we can see currently, however we will likely need to get an engineer out to you to take a look at your end.

Thanks,

Beth

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@leigh2538 wrote:

I've just swapped it over with my other box as that works fine in the other room and its the same so I'm thinking it's a problem with the white virgin cable that causing it.

The only issue with this theory is that the "white cable" you're referring to is most likely the incoming co-ax feed. This carries live TV but not the internet connection - so VoD, streaming & apps wouldn't be affected.

The only cable common to linear TV & internet-based services, is the outgoing HDMI cable to your TV

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The "white cable" could also refer to the IEC connector which, although unlikely to fail, should be checked as well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection