cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound loss on 360

Craig914
Tuning in

Hi, does anyone get intermittent sound loss on their 360 box? I have the V6 box upgraded to 360. Engineer has been out a while ago, said it wouldn’t be virgin or their equipment! Blamed the TV or soundbar. Note that no previous issues till the day after upgrading the box to 360. Sound just drops on for a few seconds then comes back on, all channels. TV is fine as I run Netflix off it with no issues so the issue doesn’t lie with the tv or sound bar. HDMI cable was changed and also tried both ports on the TV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Craig914 

For Sound issues go to Setting > Audio & Video - try setting Dolby Audio to always convert. You can also try different settings such as follow content or disabled

If you are using a sound bar try connecting the 360 to a TV HDMI port without ARC.
If you are connected to a HDMI ARC connector on the TV try connecting to a non ARC HDMI connector, using ARC has been a problem for some people.

Then if you are using  fibre optic straight from the 360 to your sound bar, set Dolby to Follow Content.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

davidjill2018
Dialled in

Do you get a blank screen as well ?

Mine drops out after upgrading to 360 believe this is a known firmware issue yet to be rectified

No picture loss, just the sound. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Craig914 

For Sound issues go to Setting > Audio & Video - try setting Dolby Audio to always convert. You can also try different settings such as follow content or disabled

If you are using a sound bar try connecting the 360 to a TV HDMI port without ARC.
If you are connected to a HDMI ARC connector on the TV try connecting to a non ARC HDMI connector, using ARC has been a problem for some people.

Then if you are using  fibre optic straight from the 360 to your sound bar, set Dolby to Follow Content.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave , I’ll give this a go. Originally (pre engineer visit) the hdmi wasn’t in the arc port, but engineer recommended to use the arc. Also have the sound bar connected direct to the TV via a fibre optic cable. 

Update…. I switched the audio settings between the options and seems to not lose audio on the “follow content” setting. Been a few weeks now and okay so far 👍🏼

I get the same problems - started on Netflix only but happens on random channels from time to time. Glad yours is sorted

Hey Scott0966, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some sound issues.

Which random channels is it happening to and when it drops, is it total loss of sound until you change the channel or would it just drop out and come back on?

Have you been into the audio settings in the box to see if anything is unticked or not? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I've answered on my thread - which had many of the answers to your question already

Which random channels is it happening to and when it drops, is it total loss of sound until you change the channel or would it just drop out and come back on?

Random, so appear to be any but mostly Netflix

Have you been into the audio settings in the box to see if anything is unticked or not? Thanks 

I followed the fixes suggested on these boards which is to change to follow content, but it's already set to that

I've just 'upgraded' to 360 from basic v6 firmware... 😞

No issues previously but now with the 360 firmware I get (about a second of) sound drop-outs every 17 seconds...
It appears the 360 box is doing something that affects my Philips TV and causes my surround sound system to glitch (connected via ARC).
I have tried every setting on TV and also 360 box and the the one thing that masks the issue (but stops the TV turning on my surround sound box for me) is to disable the EasyLink option on the TV "Easylink Auto ARC on" which I guess implies the 360 box is sending some 'enable' signal that's upsetting things.
Note this all worked fine with the previous v6 firmware.
The 360 affects the sound even if it isn't being used (say using Netflix app on the TV) - disconnecting the box from HDMI or disabling the ARC signal via that option stops it happening.
Is there any way I can go back to v6 firmware... that just worked fine.
Hopefully this info may give the firmware developers some idea of the problem, at least how it affects my setup.