cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup

CJ38
On our wavelength

I am due to get a tv360 box shortly and have been checking on the internet how to connect it. I have got quite confused. 

Will it work without a connection to the coax socket on the rear of the box

Does it need the TV aerial to be connected to it

Does it require to be directly connected to the broadband signal coming into the house (would this require an engineer visit)

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All V6 & TV360 boxes require 3 connections.

1: The co-ax provides the incoming live broadcast channel feed, and needs to be separate of your home broadband - else the broadband won't work

2: An internet connection via your home-hub, for all things online. OnDemand, streaming, various updates. Ethernet connection is best given the choice, reliable wireless can suffice

3: HDMI to your TV

If you don't have a co-ax connection wherever you want to use the TV box, you'll need a manned tech installation. VM is a cable-based system and is totally independent of Freeview. If you want any of your TV's to have a separate Freeview feed, then that would come via your aerial - but has nothing to do with Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All V6 & TV360 boxes require 3 connections.

1: The co-ax provides the incoming live broadcast channel feed, and needs to be separate of your home broadband - else the broadband won't work

2: An internet connection via your home-hub, for all things online. OnDemand, streaming, various updates. Ethernet connection is best given the choice, reliable wireless can suffice

3: HDMI to your TV

If you don't have a co-ax connection wherever you want to use the TV box, you'll need a manned tech installation. VM is a cable-based system and is totally independent of Freeview. If you want any of your TV's to have a separate Freeview feed, then that would come via your aerial - but has nothing to do with Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

CJ38
On our wavelength

Thanks for that. At present my only feed to the TV is via the aerial. So if you get the mega TV pack is that provided via the ethernet or does it need to come from somewhere else. Sorry to sound so dense but this is my first venture beyond freeserve

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The pack you have is immaterial - that just dictates the channel choice that is available.

Virgin Media is a cable operator, and the co-ax is the cable that carries live broadcast TV channels. Take a look at the following YouTube video, the TV section starts about 2 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guDtleWt_w 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if you already have VM's broadband, in which case the 360 should come with the necessary bits to split the cable in order to get a coaxial connection and an Ethernet cable to connect to the hub. If it proves not to be possible to get this all connected, call VM for a free manned installation.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection