cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps buffering when microwave being used!!

pot-shadley
Dialled in

I have a strange one in that when our microwave is being used 'apps' on the TV stop working! My wife watches UK TV a lot for the old programmes but can't when the microwave is on. Any ideas why this would happen?

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like your Microwave may be “leaking” into the room. Microwaves operate on 2.4Ghz, the same as your WiFi, but the enclosure of the oven should stop this leaking out. That is why there is a mesh across the glass etc. I would get your Oven checked as it should not interfere with anything external to the compartment that does the cooking.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So you be watching TV then burger in coming!🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As a test, move the microwave furthest from the TV and use the microwave.  If this doesn’t interfere with the TV then suspect the microwave. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pot-shadley
Dialled in

Thanks. Note that the microwave is over 30ft from the TV, but directly below the hub/modem/router. 

Try putting some aluminium kitchen foil over the microwave to act as a shield to see if it makes any difference.

Tavis75
Super solver

One option would be to run an ethernet cable from the router to the TV box (though if the TV is 30ft away that might be tricky!), or could use powerline adaptors. Though as it sounds like the microwave is faulty it might be better getting that replaced, as it doesn't sound especially safe (might be fine, I'm no microwave expert, but it would worry me a little)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the microwave is leaking radiation you need to contact the manufacturer as it’s faulty and could pose a health risk. All microwaves have to meet safety guidelines. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hello pot-shadley

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues experienced when using your microwave, thanks for posting on the forums in regards to this.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it would appear that the frequency from the microwave is interfering with the band used for the TV (and probably other devices) when in use. It's not unusual for other electrical devices to potentially impact the strength and range of a signal but given this is a microwave and it's workings this may need looking at. 

Easiest option would be to move the microwave (unless it is a built in one) to see if this helps, alternatively, the Hub could be moved but due to issue this would ab e chargeable visit at £25. If this is something you would like to discuss, lets us know and we can make the arrangements.

Rob