cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I actually getting UHD content?

jtalep
Tuning in

So I recently subscribed to the Sky Sports UHD channels, however, I didn't really notice that much of an improvement over the regular HD channel, if any.

When I look at the info section, it seems to show that it's only HD? Shouldn't this show UHD or 4K? I've checked my box settings and the resolution is set correctly and my TV reports it's getting a 4K signal, so I'm a bit confused. It even shows HD on the demo UHD channel, so it can't even be about the specific program being broadcast.

Does it just always just show HD, or is something not configured correctly?

PXL_20240219_122341110.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

ozsat
Superstar

For Sky Sports UHD you have to use channels 532-535. There is no UHD marker on content but should be noticable different on the picture.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

jtalep
Tuning in

Can confirm I'm on the UHD channels, I'm not seeing any real difference.  FYI I'm pretty up to speed with tech, so I wouldn't be on the wrong channels 😂

If one of the Virgin mods could advise whether or not I should be seeing anything different under the 'Quality' indicator please.  Perhaps I'm just being super picky, but if I'm paying for UHD I want to make sure I'm actually getting it and I've seen a lot of topics on issues with UHD on here, so makes me more dubious.

ozsat
Superstar

Don't forget a lot of the stuff on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports F1 is NOT true UHD.

F1 live events are true UHD - and the two other channels are always UHD when active.

The tennis does NOT look UHD to me on Main Event UHD on either VM or Sky - the the live Premier League football yesterday was definatly UHD.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

HavencroftKev
Fibre optic

Can I ask what TV you have and whether it HLG HDR. I had a decent 4K Samsung TV but it really didn't like the UHD channels. I then upgraded to an LG OLED and the diffence between Sky Sports HD and UHD is phenomenal. 

KeithLeonard
Fibre optic

The football tonight on my Samsung Qled tv is definitely 4k.

@jtalep wrote:

Can confirm I'm on the UHD channels, I'm not seeing any real difference.  FYI I'm pretty up to speed with tech, so I wouldn't be on the wrong channels 😂

If one of the Virgin mods could advise whether or not I should be seeing anything different under the 'Quality' indicator please.  Perhaps I'm just being super picky, but if I'm paying for UHD I want to make sure I'm actually getting it and I've seen a lot of topics on issues with UHD on here, so makes me more dubious.

Most televisions have an info button or similar. Have a look at that if you can, as that may well show the screen resolution.

@Richardr1 wrote:

Most televisions have an info button or similar. Have a look at that if you can, as that may well show the screen resolution.

If the 360 is set to 4K or Automatic then the box would upscale HD content to 4K so the TV would say 2160.

It's a 55inch Philips OLED, so more than capable at handling any 4K content (will likely use the same OLED panel as your LG).

Interesting - so the UHD channels play non UHD content?  Do they just upscale the content then?  I only got the UHD channels in preparation for the new F1 season, hoping that it's a step up from the previous HD I got with Sky.  So far, I'm underwhelemed...but I'm hoping that's just down to the content that's been on so far.