cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo Green Screen Error

J_4093
Tuning in

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice but couple weeks ago the main light on our Tivo started glowing red constantly no matter the mode it was in.  Tonight it suddenly began resetting and repeating a green screen message about a serious problem with the DVR.  After several hours it is still going.  I see from other posts this might be a bad sign.

The call taker I spoke to went through all the checks and confirmed that I needed a new HDMI cable as one I use is not compatible (despite being in the machine for 5 or so years!).  I feel like I am going to be sat waiting 5 days for something that has no chance of doing anything...but wanted to check?!?

All best,

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@J_4093 wrote:

Tonight it suddenly began resetting and repeating a green screen message about a serious problem with the DVR.

Your TiVo's hard drive has failed, and will require replacing. Providing you have VM home broadband, your TiVo will be replaced with a V6 - much newer box, quicker, with more recording tuners and additional streaming apps.. but running the same TiVo-software.

@J_4093 wrote:

The call taker I spoke to went through all the checks and confirmed that I needed a new HDMI cable as one I use is not compatible

The CS agent is talking nonsense - that's a technical term. I'd suggest calling back and being very specific about the green-screen "DVR has detected an error" message. If all else fails, the staff team should be along in a couple of days on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@J_4093 wrote:

Tonight it suddenly began resetting and repeating a green screen message about a serious problem with the DVR.

Your TiVo's hard drive has failed, and will require replacing. Providing you have VM home broadband, your TiVo will be replaced with a V6 - much newer box, quicker, with more recording tuners and additional streaming apps.. but running the same TiVo-software.

@J_4093 wrote:

The call taker I spoke to went through all the checks and confirmed that I needed a new HDMI cable as one I use is not compatible

The CS agent is talking nonsense - that's a technical term. I'd suggest calling back and being very specific about the green-screen "DVR has detected an error" message. If all else fails, the staff team should be along in a couple of days on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

J_4093
Tuning in

Thank you very much for the advice Japitts.  It is appreciated!

The call taker was very specific that the computer resolution was for the new cable (despite mentioning the error) and we can talk again once I try that...so as you suggest will see what the staff team thinks in the meantime before I have to argue with the computer 😉

J_4093
Tuning in

Just as an update...spoke to a second call taker and it was a completely different experience.  Knew the issue...and with the subsequent visit of a very helpful engineer all is fixed.

Issue and fix was exactly as Japitts expected.