cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 500GB TiVo box needs replacing.

Marg81
Joining in

Hi,  How can I get a newer TiVo box than my Cisco 500GB one please. I don’t need broadband or a new tv package as I have broadband with UW. My box is 17 years old I believe.

5 REPLIES 5

NPP
Up to speed

The newer boxes need a Virgin broadband connection, but you will be given one for free if your TiVo needs to be replaced.  Does it have a fault?

=========
I work for Virgin Media but all opinions are my own

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Faulty TiVo's are replaced, as a matter of course, with V6 which run the exact same software but on a much newer box - providing you have VM home broadband.

Give VM sales half-a-chance, and they will promote TV360 which is a completely different software platform that is fundamentally not TiVo. It's very different, in the same way Apple is different to Android. Whether it's better is very much a subject of debate on these boards.

The hardware is the same either way, and does need a VM home broadband connection - do you have this?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Marg81 wrote:

Hi,  How can I get a newer TiVo box than my Cisco 500GB one please. I don’t need broadband or a new tv package as I have broadband with UW. My box is 17 years old I believe.

If you move to TiVO V6 or Horizon V360 you will have to take VM Broadband for them to work. These boxes no longer have modems & the servers that operate these TV platforms only work on the local VM network. There is no connection to the outside world, or even to other parts of the VM network. Hence there is no access via external Broadband connections, making VM Broadband a mandatory requirement.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Depending on which TV channels you need, have a look at the new Manhatten T4-R .  Works on any broadband connection.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Marg81 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear you have an older Set Top Box with us, I'll be happy to have a look and see if an upgrade is available via a private message. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.