cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 5 and TP Link Port not connecting

Jagruti1
Joining in

Hi my whole house is connected to Cat 5 cables - virgin hub is connected to a TP Port (24 ports), the port has ethernet cables running to the various rooms.  I used to have Virgin Hub 3 which was connected to the TP LInk port and everything was working fine - alarm, house lights, the virgin TV box apps (netflix etc).  Last week the wifi was not working (mobiles and ipad), but the hardwired items continued working. Virgin said I need to upgrade my hub. Today I received Virgin Hub 5, so I transfered the connections across from hub 3 to hub 5.  Since switiching everything across my WIFI is working but everything hard wired is not working.  Its like Hub and switch doesn't talk to each other, I have tried different internet cables and still no luck.  How can I fix this?

39 REPLIES 39

This is the setting on the virgin tv that isn’t connecting to the router

setting are:

• IP address: 192.168.0.119
  • Gateway: 192.168.0.254
  • Subnet: 255.255.255.0

the router is 192.168.0.1

i have also purchased a tp link router which I will try out tomorrow (obviously setting the router to modem only)

OK the gateway address is wrong, in this case gateway is synonymous with the router, ie how do I get out to the internet? It should be 192.168.0.1.

So the question now is why is it wrong? Could the box be set for a static IP address with an incorrect gateway address? I think you need to either do a factory reset on the TV box (a bit harsh and I have no idea if this will delete all of your saved programmes), or, even better, see if you can't navigate through the configuration menus on the box, find the network setup options and manually change the gateway address to be 192.168.0.1 or see if it has been set to a static address, and in which case change it to a dynamic/DHCP address*.

* There is one other possibility**, although it is very unlikely. The TV box is on DHCP but you have another device somewhere on your home network which has been configured as a DHCP server and is giving out incorrect data.

** Actually, there is another possibility, do you have any 'homeplug'-type devices in use, ie the conectivity over the home electric wiring?

Client62
Legend

Gateway: 192.168.0.254   looks like another Hub 5 with DHCP failure.

A workaround might be to manually set the network settings to :

• IP address: 192.168.0.250
  • Gateway: 192.168.0.1
  • Subnet: 255.255.255.0

DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Maybe you have HomePlug - Network Via Mains?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

192.168.0.254 is the Gateway address of BT routers ?  As pointed out, do you use any PLA's ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

philiplawry
On our wavelength

Jagruti1 hello and thanks for this post.

Over the weekend I "upgraded" to a hub 5 from a hub 3 and have exactly the same problem as you. My TP-Link TL-SG1024 switch (with ~15 ethernet devices plugged in) isn't working properly anymore. No problems at all with the old Hub-3. Confirming all the ethernet ports on the back of the Hub 5 work when plugged into a PC.

Did you ever resolve this? Do I really need to buy my own router and put the hub into modem mode?

Client62
Legend

Does "the same problem" mean your Hub 5 is also giving out DHCP responses with an invalid Gateway IP ?

philiplawry
On our wavelength

Yes, I believe so Client62

But don't know enough to precisely say it is "giving out DHCP responses with an invalid Gateway IP".

I've just had 40 minutes on the phone with VM and was transferred to five times back and forward between the wrong teams. In the end the technical team raised a ticket, said they would update the hub 5 remotely and asked me to reboot it in 24 hours. If the problem persists they asked me to phone them back quoting the ticket number.

@philiplawry wrote:

Do I really need to buy my own router and put the hub into modem mode?

That might be the fastest way

---------------------------------------------------------------

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Open a command window and let's see what 'ipconfig /all' produces.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection