cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin internet speeds

ituhabitu
Joining in

Hi i have the 264gb package whenever i test my download speed's i get the guaranteed speed ,whenever i try to download a game or something it maxes out around 11gb . Im missing some fine print in the contract or they just rubbish?

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

How are you measuring that speed?  Tell us more. 

Download speeds shown on a game device can be unreliable for a number of reasons. Speed tests on a separate device while downloading a game are not valid. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

RWR
Joining in

Just rubbish, in my experience. I am lucky if I get 10mbps, in London! I should have gone elsewhere when my contract expired. I'm stuck here now.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have to agree with @jpeg1   I have an Xbox and download speeds are far too variable on the console to go by.  I can at least for 99% of the time get the full speed on wired tests to the likes of Speedtest.net on other devices.  It's a very rare occasion I get poor broadband. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

IPFreely
Fibre optic

@ituhabitu wrote:

Hi i have the 264gb package whenever i test my download speed's i get the guaranteed speed ,whenever i try to download a game or something it maxes out around 11gb . Im missing some fine print in the contract or they just rubbish?

Torrents?

HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed

I had the same issue with my M500 package.  download speeds were fine when just doing a test, but as soon as i started downloading a game or a file, the download speed would drop like a stone.  Engineer came round and switched out my superhub 3 for a Superhub 5, and I have no issues since.  The SH3 is old now,, and I dont think the CPU inside is up to it.  Also make sure your doing your download tests wired and not on Wifi, as you may have interference in your home which could be affecting the signal and dropping packets. 

I am not a white Hat Hacker, nor a Black Hat Hacker, more 50 shades of Grey

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ituhabitu,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing any speed issues, may I ask is that on a wired connection?

Also downloads to devices such as console can differ with actions such as downloading a game.

Regards,

Kain

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You cannot do a speed test while doing any form of downloading, because the speed test needs the whole bandwidth to get a proper measurement. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@HUGH_EFFO wrote:

I had the same issue with my M500 package.  download speeds were fine when just doing a test, but as soon as i started downloading a game or a file, the download speed would drop like a stone.  Engineer came round and switched out my superhub 3 for a Superhub 5, and I have no issues since.

Maybe the hub 5 dose QoS/BWM😲

---------------------------------------------------------------