cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 1gig but speed slower!

oganifrun
Joining in

Hello all! I took advantage of an offer and upgraded from 500mb to 1gig a week ago. VM sent me a new Hub 5 (even though I already had one!) and I kept the 3 Wi-Fi pods I already had in same spaces. Since upgraded the speed in my little office has gone down from on average 250-300mb to 100mb, although the upload speed has gone up from 30 to 80. Is this normal? I contacted VM and they said it ‘needs to settle’ for a few days. It’s been a week now. Seems weird I’m paying more for worse service!

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No its not normal and it should be full speed straight away.  Are you still using the old Hub or the new one?   If the new one, are you sure that the Pods are working ok?  Sometimes there is a delay in associating older pods to a new Hub - call the  equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 to check.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I know that's what is supposed to be the case with VM. But personally what I have found is that my connection occasionally needs to settle down over a week after an upgrade,  especially when changing a Hub model.

So when I had my Hub 3 replaced with the Hub 5 recently, the connection became a lot more variable. It took a few days for it to settle down.

To the OP, make sure the pods are connected to the new Hub. Also check Hub signal levels coming into the property are within specs.