cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 1gig but speed slower!

partik
Joining in

Hello all! I took advantage of an offer and upgraded from 500mb to 1gig a week ago. VM sent me a new Hub 5 (even though I already had one!) and I kept the 3 Wi-Fi pods I already had in same spaces. Since upgraded the speed in my little office has gone down from on average 250-300mb to 100mb, although the upload speed has gone up from 30 to 80. Is this normal? I contacted VM and they said it ‘needs to settle’ for a few days. It’s been a week now. Seems weird I’m paying more for worse service!

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are the Pods connected to the new Hub?  Normally they need to be re-paired if you get a new Hub. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

WorstISP
Up to speed

I contacted VM and they said it ‘needs to settle’ for a few days.

That's just a lie they tell you to stall you through the contract cooling-off phase. Listen, I work on internet traffic-engineer systems for another company (Not residential, international network stuff). I develop systems that adapt to speed changes within seconds. There's nothing that takes several days to "settle" unless somebody has literally not configured your QoS settings correctly.

If you're not happy with the speeds you're getting now, I suggest you cancel the contract. They're just trying to delay things for 2 weeks so that you'll be stuck in the contract.

Honestly, Virgin Media have just been getting worse and worse. They're selling bandwidth that they can't actually provide. Once they offer 1Gig in your area, it's time to switch to another provider, because you'll just start to see congestion issues.

I suggest you cancel your contract and make a complaint to OfCom, and see what other providers you have in your area.

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Partik! 👋 Welcome to the community, thank you for posting!

Sorry to hear about these concerns and issues with your speeds following an upgrade! You should see the increase in speeds within 24hours of the change happening (just whilst your account updates on our systems). Any Wi-Fi pods you have come pre-paired to the hub, so it may be the case we need to get these re-programmed for you - which we can do remotely! 

I'd like to take a closer look and help get this sorted for you, so we will need to send you a PM to confirm a few account details and offer some support. You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly