cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh WiFi recommendations

refer
Joining in

We currently have a VM Hub 5 and a couple of VM's wifi mesh units (the hexagonal things that plug into a mains socket). We've been unable to connect some Wifi devices which only use 2.4Ghz Wifi to the network.

To get over this and allow easier future migration to another ISP I would like to install my own mesh Wifi system.

A few (really dumb, sorry) questions.

What wifi mesh system do people recommend, as the layout of the house is such that we won't be able to use a single hub/router). I'd ideall like something where we could have a separate 2.4GHz SSID and had Ethernet ports. There is such a bewildering range. A colleague has recommended the TPLink AX7800 Deco X95.

I presume that we convert the hub to cable modem. So presumably the mesh system would need to handle e.g. DHCP.

I presume that they existing VM TV streaming box will just require configuring with the new network details. There is nothing in the (now bricked) which will be required.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just try to get a Wifi 6 Mesh if you can, and make sure all the ports are at least gigabit (1Gb)   Other than this, get the best you can afford and read the reviews. 

The Hub should ideally be used in Modem mode and connected to the first Mesh unit in Router mode.  You may need a switch as in modem mode you can only use one port, and it needs to be connected to the Mesh Router.  So any other existing Hub wired devices will be moved to the switch.

Good Luck.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I suggest getting a router with a mesh

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I use a non wifi router and PoE access points.  However the OP was asking about Mesh systems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks