cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow speeds - Twitter sent me here

JR_12345
Tuning in

Dear all, 

I hope this post finds you well. In short, I am paying for 1GB but I have not been getting anywhere close to this speed for quite a long time. After speaking to VM on Twitter, they advised communicating here. 

In terms of devices, I currently have a Hub 4 set to modem mode and an Archer AC4000 (changing the Hub 4 back to router mode did not help). Only my PS5 and VM TV box is connected via ethernet; everything else is over wi-fi. 

A speed test which I ran via the PS5 stated I was receiving 253.7 mbps (download) and 8 mpbs (upload). 
I also ran a test today via VM's own website (https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speed-test) over Wi-Fi, which stated the following: Latency17.7 ms; Jitter7.22 ms; Download 18.0 Mbps; Upload 31.7 Mbps

Please may you kindly advise what other steps I should try, or what I haven't considered? Thank you very much in advance for your help! 

12 REPLIES 12

Hi Legacy1 and Kain_W, 

My apologies for the delay, I was away. I have created a BQM today, using the default settings it suggested, and it has a bit of information.

JR_12345_12-1702037320127.png

I have changed the WiFi channels as recommended, and I took the tests from both thinkbroadband and Ookla (see below) via my desktop PC over WiFi.

Thinkbroadband – Could not see an option for 1x or 6x.

JR_12345_13-1702037320129.png

Ookla

Multi

JR_12345_14-1702037320132.png

Single

JR_12345_15-1702037320135.png

Also, after the tests above, I turned on my PS5 (connected via ethernet) to download something and it was doing it at 95mbps, which is nowhere near 1GB.

Any ideas or suggestions? As always, thank you very much for your help!!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You seem to be rate limited going by the high download latency.

The router you have has a QoS which is set to Get via Internet Speed Test which is never a good idea try it to manually and reboot if needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for coming back to us JR_12345, the system is now showing an issue with your power levels, they are too high on all but one of your upstream channels this will need a technician visit booked in to resolve. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L