cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

Claire1978
Joining in

Two men have just knocked on my door claiming to be subcontracted by Virgin Media saying that they had detected interference coming from our router. They were in an unmarked van, wearing orange hi-vis vests with Virgin Media on the back. The first man had a broken ID badge that was just a red card with his name and photo on, no Virgin Media branding. They said they needed access to the property to look at the router. I said I felt uncomfortable about it as I hadn't been contacted beforehand. I asked to check and if they would be around in the area and could come back later. They said yes but that if they kept being denied access then Virgin would put a block on our broadband. It all seemed quite suspicious so I didn't let them in and they were fine about it then drove off quite quickly.

4 REPLIES 4

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Claire1978,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

We're sorry to hear you put into an uncomfortable situation. So we can get a few more details from you, I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me over private message Claire1978,

Glad I was able to help 🙂

Alex_Rm

Hi i would if u can get a ring door bell as it will record and u can share the images or video of it u can also anser the door 

we have got one for our old family members so we can talk with the person at the door if need 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Claire1978 wrote:

It all seemed quite suspicious so I didn't let them in and they were fine about it then drove off quite quickly.

If you were to make a note of their registration number, that is worthy of reporting to the Police.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks