cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't connect me after moving home

chiarasantevec
Joining in

I have a contract with Virgin Media which expires in March 2025. I have moved home this month and have asked to connect the services to my new home.

They had a technical problem 3 weeks ago when they were supposed to connect me, and may not be able to connect me for a further 5 weeks.
Maybe even longer if I am unlucky.

They said there is technical damage to a cable. If I leave and open a contract with Sky Broadband, they said I'd have to pay the Early Repayment Charges because the contract is still valid. I am hoping they are in breach of contract because it's already been three weeks since they should have connected me, and now they say it could take a further three to five weeks. What are my rights?

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would treat this as a delayed install. Compensation £6.10 per day until it’s completed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Highway wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

I would treat this as a delayed install. Compensation £6.10 per day until it’s completed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation 

Nope, this is a total loss of service for which the compensation is a tad under £10 per day - not that, as we both know, VM will willingly pay out without a fight, but cross that bridge when it happens.

Look at the logic here - ‘if I leave and open a contract with Sky Broadband, they said I'd have to pay the Early Repayment Charges because the contract is still valid’, so is the OP in contract and paying, in which case this is a total loss and merits the higher compo, or he isn’t; it’s a delayed install, lower compensation but if no contract then the OP is free to leave without penalty.

It’s one or the other - VM can’t have it both ways!

Change of address is change of contract, so it's not a continuous service at the same address. If the customer gives up & cancels VM will likely declare the address unserviceable, which wipes out EDFs anyway under their current T&Cs.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

unisoft
Knows their stuff

Then VM need to indicate a fix date as its not unreasonable in law for the customer to either want to continue the contracted services at new address OR to have broadband service. You can't be expected to hang around forever for some unknown date in the future when they may fix it and be without in the meantime. Its also an unreasonable contract to be expected to pay termination charges if the provider is being obtuse about service availability.

In the first instance, raise an official VM complaint on your account and get it recorded, secondly record with Ofcom your experience of moving and no service and expected to pay termination charges to quit on the simple and quick online form:

https://ofcomlive.my.salesforce-sites.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Lastly CISAS can be used for dispute resolution.

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/overview/

If you do intend adjudication, then if you've got a "resolution" communication, then just reply to that rejecting it and asking for a deadlock letter. If the complaint's just vanished without response that's a clear breach of Ofcom's requirements and in that case you may need to raise a second complaint, referencing the first, and requesting a deadlock letter. If using CISAS it is important you clearly structure the VM complaint to explain background, problem and the effort to resolve with VM, and the outcomes that will now resolve the matter for you.

Link to Ofcom complaint requirements:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/siteassets/resources/documents/advice-for-businesses/ofcom-approved-complai...

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @chiarasantevec 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear you are facing this issue with your service and new install and I can understand how frustrating this must be! 

I would be happy to look into this further with you via a private message. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

chiarasantevec
Joining in

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your help!

I have logged in an official complaint and look into all the other ways to get what I deserve via all other channels.

just so you know, apparently I have reached the maximum number of messages I can send. 

One entire day to clear security with you is just the confirmation of difficult VM is.

You got my phone number if you want to call me but apparently this forum is stopping me from sending you another Private message.