cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGS-PON Business - which router

richard999
Tuning in

Nexfibre are currently laying fibre in my street, and as it's the only fibre available in my area I'm looking to switch to Virgin. As the only way I can get a static IP address is with the business version, I'm looking at going down that root.

My question however is regarding the router that will be provided. For the XGS-PON version is a different router provided? The Hitron one mentioned on the website only seems to have a co-axial cable input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Riche90
Dialled in

They only do coax for business and do not currently have an xgs pon router that can take lc/apc in. Sounds mad I know but I’ve been told this on the phone to them 4+ times. They actually said they would come and switch me to coax lmao.. nonsensical. But with VM it’s expected now. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will have ti contact VM Business, the VM staff on this board only deal with residential connections and will have no information. Why do you need a fixed IP address? My IP hasn’t changed for nearly 2 years, in any case if you have a URL pointing to your IP you can just use DDNS.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Riche90
Dialled in

They only do coax for business and do not currently have an xgs pon router that can take lc/apc in. Sounds mad I know but I’ve been told this on the phone to them 4+ times. They actually said they would come and switch me to coax lmao.. nonsensical. But with VM it’s expected now. 

Thanks for the info. That's annoying. 

Tudor, I need it for when I WFH. At lot of the services I access are behind a firewall and the risk that my IP address might change could cause issues, especially if anything urgent came up. By the looks of it, AAISPs L2TP service may be the only way to get around this.

Thanks all for the help.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As Tudor said, a DDNS is your answer.  Choose a reliable service. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.