cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unburied cable

CarrieD1
Joining in

Struggling to find a way to speak to someone about problems in different locations when I'm not a customer.  Cables not buried in paths and left laid in bushes, ongoing problem being found during improvement works and now preventing works taking place.  Can anyone advise who I can contact that will speak to me?

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Can you post pictures please so that relevant people can assess the problem?

Is this cable on public land or private? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

FlockWallpaper
Up to speed

@CarrieD1 wrote:

Struggling to find a way to speak to someone about problems in different locations when I'm not a customer.  Cables not buried in paths and left laid in bushes, ongoing problem being found during improvement works and now preventing works taking place.  Can anyone advise who I can contact that will speak to me?

Carrie, the problem is that as you aren’t a VM customer, communication with them tends to fall at the first hurdle!

These cables, do they run from the street to a (normally) brown box attached to the outside front wall of your house, or do you not have said brown box and the cables seem to run next door?

The reason I ask is that in the former case, were you to simply cut the cables away and dump them, nothing will happen other than it might become problematic should you want to take up a VM service in future. In the latter case, doing this would result in your neighbour losing connectivity, and the possibility of aggro with them!

Assuming that you aren’t a current VM customer, and aren’t intending to be one, I would suggest that you ‘accidentally’ sever the cable as part of your improvement works (it’s perfectly safe, they aren’t ‘live’ in the conventional sense), and see what happens.

20240312_134253.jpg20220629_103049.jpg20240122_101343.jpg

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Well those cables have certainly not been laid properly. But your pictures raise two more questions.

Are they running across your own property? And whose house are the wall boxes mounted on?  If the answer is yours in both cases, and you haven't given permission, you could remove them.  But if another house is being served by them this is going to be more complicated. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

What sort of development are you thinking of?

If those cables are actually in use you might be able to persuade VM to bury them below the surface. But that would be no use if for example you were putting in a driveway - you'd have to get your builder to put in conduits.

If it will be any sort of building, you'd have to pay VM to divert the cables around the site. 

- jpeg1

It's council housing (flats and bungalows), I'm replacing council owned paths and revamping landscaping.  I need a relevant section of Virgin that will talk to me, but not having much luck finding one.  I've tried diversions team, they say they can't help with a installation problem and couldn't or wouldn't get the right team to speak to me.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The Diversions team at www.virginmedia.com/help/diversionaryworks

are exactly the right people to deal with moving of existing installations. Anyone at VM would refer you to them. 

- jpeg1