cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of virgin media cable and box

DanMcD
Joining in

Hello,

I've recently bought my house and there is a Virgin Media box and cable which runs through my front garden, over the top of my house, down the back of the property and into my living room. 

I don't intend to become a Virgin Media customer and would like this cable removed if possible. It is causing an issues to my development of the property as we are planning on having a driveway installed to replace the original front garden. 

The cable is in a green protective flexible pipe and hasn't been buried in the garden so presents a trip hazard in my front garden development. It's tricky to see because it's green in our overgrown front garden.

Would really appreciate any advice on how to remove this myself or whether virgin could please come and remove this from my new property. 

Many thanks 

Daniel McDermott 

85 REPLIES 85

Martyn
Up to speed

if you plan on having virgin media in the future I wouldn't completely remove anything, just tidy it up, but if you have a suitable connection / other options, then crack on.

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Hi Travis,

we have exactly the same problem. Please could you advise!

thanks,

abbie

abbrobinson
Joining in

Hi,

We have the same problem! Please could you advise?

thanks,

abbie

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The advice for you is the same as for everyone else in your position. You can ask Virginmedia to remove the cables and boxes, and your request will almost certainly disappear into their system never to be seen again. 

They would like to leave it in your home just in case a future resident might want to use it, and unless it's a dangerous obstruction they will do nothing.

By all means ask them and allow a few weeks for them to remove the nuisance. But be prepared to remove and dispose of it yourself. The cable and boxes are electrically harmless. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

sayekm
Fibre optic

I stopped using Openreach service about 4 years ago when I switched to Virgin. I plan never to use their stupid 35mbs speed so removed the internal box, filled the holes and painted. The exterior cables are removed from the walls much as I can reach with a ladder. Obviously if I sell the house the new owner will need to pay for a new line. So if you don't plan to use Virgin service that's a suggestion 😉

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The advice hasn't changed since last year. 

You can ask Virginmedia to remove the cables and boxes, and your request will almost certainly disappear into their system never to be seen again. 

They would like to leave it in your home just in case a future resident might want to use it, and unless it's a dangerous obstruction they will do nothing.

By all means ask them and allow a few weeks for them to remove the nuisance. But be prepared to remove and dispose of it yourself. The cable and boxes are electrically harmless. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

SebaG
Joining in

I'm no longer Virgin's customer and would like to completely rebuild my front garden where their line is put. They didn't protect it well, partially goes unprotected and some of it under slabs. Unfortunately my neighbour's fibre is also there and she's still their customer. Who should I contact to to remove that from my garden and move neighbour's line to their garden?

spell
Knows their stuff

Have a chat with your neighbour - preferably over a cup of tea - to avoid any future animosity (VM are not in the least concerned over the possibility of a neighbour dispute). Explain the situation and give her notice of a definite fixed date on which you will be removing/having removed the 'trespassing' VM equipment from your property. The onus is then on her as the Virgin customer to make appropriate arrangements with them for her service to be uninterrupted.

You are then totally out of the situation although your neighbour can expect to be subject of non cooperation and blatant lies about any proposed action.

Unless VM which to ac

spell
Knows their stuff

Unless VM wish to make arrangements for removal with you then inform them that you want no contact with them - you are not a customer.

Hi @SebaG 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies that you have our cabling running through your property, so that we can look into this further for you we would need to bring you in for a private message. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina