cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of virgin media cable and box

DanMcD
Joining in

Hello,

I've recently bought my house and there is a Virgin Media box and cable which runs through my front garden, over the top of my house, down the back of the property and into my living room. 

I don't intend to become a Virgin Media customer and would like this cable removed if possible. It is causing an issues to my development of the property as we are planning on having a driveway installed to replace the original front garden. 

The cable is in a green protective flexible pipe and hasn't been buried in the garden so presents a trip hazard in my front garden development. It's tricky to see because it's green in our overgrown front garden.

Would really appreciate any advice on how to remove this myself or whether virgin could please come and remove this from my new property. 

Many thanks 

Daniel McDermott 

87 REPLIES 87

Long story short.. Virgin will tel you they have messaged you to find a solution, look into for approx a month. Then tell you there’s nothing they can do about it if you’re not their client, even though they have no permissions to run cables through your property. 

Consequently, I had my builder cut through this cable and in turn their other customers were affected, but nothing more I could do since there was nothing more they could do!

This is the only contact I’ve ever had with Virgin and to be honest I wouldn’t join them if they were the last of its kind  

good luck. 

Really? That's woeful.

I do not have a month to wait around.

Good evening

I’m in a similar situation to those posted here. I’ve just bought a house and there is a green tubing with virgin wiring coming out of the front of the house. It is potentially dangerous and is quite unsightly too!

Could you arrange to have this removed as well as, what looks like, two virgin boxes inside the house?

Many thanks

alex darmoo 

Hey Adarmoo, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some issues with cabling.

The equipment should have been sent back to us by the previous tenants.

I can ask our techs to take a look at this for you however this is something they don't often do due to insurance and incase they damaged anything on the house for example.

I will send you a PM, to get some more information from you. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I am in the same situation where there is a virgin media cable though my front garden.

Previous owners were Virgin media customers I am not. I am now in a situation where the cable though my front garden and it needs to be removed. I would take it out myself however my neighbors internet utalises it so I would like to ask Virgin to remove it.

Hi Iwantmyusername,

Thank you for reaching out to us, you advised you want the cabling removing from your garden but advised your Neighbours cable is also there, can you takee a picture of the cabling so we know what we are looking at?

Regards

Paul.

katy_47
Joining in

Hi, I also urgently need to remove old virgin media cable and box to allow for my own supplier to use the existing hole in the wall rather than drill another. 

Please advise what needs to be done with the black wire sticking out of the front of my house and going down a green pipe. Virgin media hasn't been used at this property for years. 

Can the wire be cut at the point it goes down the green pipe. 

Why is this such a problem for everyone and VM seem to offer nothing to help?

@katy_47 wrote:

Hi, I also urgently need to remove old virgin media cable and box to allow for my own supplier to use the existing hole in the wall rather than drill another. 

Please advise what needs to be done with the black wire sticking out of the front of my house and going down a green pipe. Virgin media hasn't been used at this property for years. 

The answers are; ‘yes’ is can simply be cut away - there’s no danger, the voltages and power levels in them are ridiculously low. And secondly, think of it from VM’s perspective, it has cost them money to install the cables in the first place, which they have recouped from the previous occupants’ subscriptions. Now you don’t want to be a customer (obviously), and aren’t prepared to pay VM any money. For them to send someone out and remove it all, will cost them money which they will never, ever get back. So basically, they have absolutely no incentive to do anything, do they? Be honest, in their position, would you?

Now if there is a definite Health and Safety issue, that might be a different issue, but, imagine that you purchase a house which has an existing cable draped across the lawn and is a tripping hazard. It could be argued that you couldn’t help but be aware of this before making the purchase, hence you accepted it and, presumably are prepared to put up with it! Certainly you are well within your rights to rectify this yourself, via the aid of cable cutters and a convenient skip; but I doubt that VM are legally obliged to do anything.

In the past, there were posts on here claiming that the VM cables, once installed are regarded as ‘a service’ alongside gas/water pipes and power is and always was a load of old rubbish, I suspect someone reading but not understanding the various Telecommunications Acts, luckily this old wives tale of a story doesn’t seem to get repeated much now. Another oft mentioned story is that just cutting the cables ‘can interfere with other user’s connectivity, and VM could take action against you’. This is theoretically, technically true (well the interference part anyway, the VM, Courts, Police might take action; is rubbish), so it could be argued that it is actually in VM’s interest to turn up and remove unwanted cabling and make sure it is properly terminated etc.

Ultimately, what you do with anything on your own property is entirely down to you (well, within reason anyway), the best advice is to request that VM remove the cables, posting on here as an official VM communication channel, should legally suffice. Give them ‘reasonable time’ (and often the Law regards two weeks as ‘reasonable) to comply or acknowledge your request with a firm date, and if and when that passes simply cut the whole lot away and dump it.

In the (very unlikely) event that doing so causes inconvenience to other customers - sorry but not your problem! If VM’s infrastructure can’t cope with this, plus you did give their fair opportunity to mitigate against this, then that is absolutely their problem and not yours.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@katy_47 wrote:

Just curious to understand the question but ...

Is this a wish from yourself (to avoid 'connection box clutter' or multiple hole drilling) to reuse the cable hole in the wall from the VM service or a request from the new service installer?

Hi,

Could I also please request to have a VM cable removed or buried correctly in my front garden?

I do not have VM - this cable was installed before I purchased the property. The cable is half buried in the garden but the other half is just laying across the top of the lawn.

I am soon having a driveway laid so need this cable to be either buried or removed. Or I can remove it myself if you give permission.

I have confirmed with my neighbour that he isn't using VM as the cable enters the property through his flat and not mine. 

Ben