cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of virgin media cable and box

DanMcD
Joining in

Hello,

I've recently bought my house and there is a Virgin Media box and cable which runs through my front garden, over the top of my house, down the back of the property and into my living room. 

I don't intend to become a Virgin Media customer and would like this cable removed if possible. It is causing an issues to my development of the property as we are planning on having a driveway installed to replace the original front garden. 

The cable is in a green protective flexible pipe and hasn't been buried in the garden so presents a trip hazard in my front garden development. It's tricky to see because it's green in our overgrown front garden.

Would really appreciate any advice on how to remove this myself or whether virgin could please come and remove this from my new property. 

Many thanks 

Daniel McDermott 

87 REPLIES 87

Hi Kath,

Zach has replied with the below - is this the message you refer to? I have not been provided with next steps and the cabling is a hazard to myself and my property, including the cause of damp to the inside of my home.

There are multiple homes connected to this cable removing these myself will not create a health and safety risk but also affect the connection to your other customers. 

Kindly advise the next steps and when somebody can come out to remove these. I have builders arriving to fix the damp in the next few days. 

best wishes 

Hi Sara,

I have received an update from the area manager who has confirmed that we would be unable to provide an engineer to come out to the property to perform this work of removing the cabling.

They have confirmed, however, if you're the owner of the property that you're welcome to remove the cabling yourself if you wish.

Thanks,

@lyzx wrote:

Hi Kath,

Zach has replied with the below - is this the message you refer to? I have not been provided with next steps and the cabling is a hazard to myself and my property, including the cause of damp to the inside of my home.

There are multiple homes connected to this cable removing these myself will not create a health and safety risk but also affect the connection to your other customers. 

Kindly advise the next steps and when somebody can come out to remove these. I have builders arriving to fix the damp in the next few days. 

best wishes 

Hi Sara,

I have received an update from the area manager who has confirmed that we would be unable to provide an engineer to come out to the property to perform this work of removing the cabling.

They have confirmed, however, if you're the owner of the property that you're welcome to remove the cabling yourself if you wish.

Thanks,

It would appear that VM don't intend to come out and remove the cables themselves - sometimes, it seems they do and other times they won't, presumably depends on the are and how busy they are.

However the last line would appear to be saying, that your next step is to just cut the whole lot away and place in the nearest skip!

spell
Knows their stuff

Or bill VM for storing their cable on your property

Thanks for your input @jem101. As this is a health and safety hazard to both the internal and external area of my home, I’ll let Virgin Media handle this one! 

Best wishes!

Fab idea @spell. They don’t seem to understand that they don’t have permission to store their cables on my property - any past permissions have been revoked by me! 

If they don’t remove the cables before my workmen begin fixing the damp, I‘ll take this option up, perhaps even pursue this legally.

spell
Knows their stuff

Perhaps you would benefit from a call to the Citizens Advice Bureau or email if they have the system in your area to avoid legal costs. If it does come to legal action it is a relatively straightforward matter at modest cost.which would be claimed from VM. I doubt they would brief an advocat to appear especially with no defence to put forward ankd you would win by default. Nor would they relish a 'stated case' - the implications could be enormous especially with a bit of publicity.                                       Good luck

Hello,

I still haven’t had this issue resolved, the cable is protruding from our lawn and we are trying to landscape the front garden, can we just cut through it?!!

Louisa

Green VM cableGreen VM cable

So much for the response of Corey C on 18.12.21. Have you really been left in limbo over that period for such a straightforward issue - perhaps an apology s called for.

At least they have given a clear indication that they have no interest in recovering their cable and of course you are able to cut it at the point it 'trespasses' onto your property.

The final kick in the teeth is that VM seem quite happy to leave you to dispose of their garbage with absolutely no consideration of any inconvenience to yourself.

I was advised someone would be in touch, an area manager? But there was no follow up, we’ve been working around it until now but I guess I’ll have to do it myself.

L

That was just to make you 'go away' for a while - it seems to work for them.

Its not actually a big job - should roll into a managable coil for disposal.

Put VM out of your mind - get it done - and enjoy new garden - same with house decorations.