cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Telewest Connection Point

GBrien
Joining in

I've just moved to the UK and into a flat that has a very old looking "Telewest" cable connection point, beside a slightly less old looking Virgin Media (Phone??) connection point. See picture.

Can I in 2023 connect a modern Wi-Fi Hub to this and expect it to work - 1) At all? and/or 2) At the expected speeds? 

Thanks for any help given

IMG_DD870BC00D4B-1.jpeg 

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Should not be a problem, although the box looks to have a terminator on the screw terminal at the bottom. This just needs to be unscrewed and the cable from the new VM hub is pushed onto this screw terminal.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is actually the phone connection on the left that is now obsolete for new customers, as the telephone now plugs into the modem/hub & not through separate wiring.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi GBrien, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

It is great to hear you would like to have service in your new home 🙂 

As our wonderful members have advised, you should have no problems getting connected with the equipment in your home. 

We would recommend taking a look at our offers here and if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. 

Thanks, 

Nat

fablanta
Tuning in

Might as well keep them in the same thread.

So here

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-28 at 02.32.24_4aad5dc4.jpg

Is my ancient installation. As you can see, they put it right on the skirting board so instead of curving the cable has to make a right angle. The end of the cable is fitted with an F-connector. This is not compatible with the supplied push on cable. Speaking of incompatible, you may also have noticed the security screws. I had two sets of security bits (89 bits in total) and neither set has something that is even remotely close to those heads

fablanta_0-1706410182334.png

If I do manage to get this open will I find a connector inside that I can use; or should I just call for an engineer?

fablanta
Tuning in

I can't edit my previous message but I'd just like to add, those screws are raised not hollows.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Why not call for a manned installation and have the two old boxes replaced with a new one fitted how you want it? You should be able to negotiate away the installation charge. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

If you still need one (Used when redecorating):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RJJ1ABS

asim18
Fibre optic

The new wall plates are horrible. The cable comes out at a 45 degree angle thus creating a horrible and potentially dangerous protrusion.

Old style boxes were much superior as the cable came out flat against the wall, nice and neat.

Whoever designed the new wall boxes needs to go back to design school to be honest. If I was incharge of designing the new wall box, I'd have tried to make it more compact and more streamlined, what kind of sick designer thought to make it bigger and more in your face???

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know what size I need?