cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Wayleave Issues

Dogbolter
Tuning in

A familiar story of our neigbour not giving permission for Virgin to install fibre across there front garden. They refuse to sign the wayleave. A plan of where they require digging of the cables would give me something to use to persuade the neighbor, but we are having difficulty establishing where this will be. If the agreement is refused can't virgin come up with an alternative route which does not require diggingin my neighbours garden?

I've not found a way of speaking to anyone in Virgin about this, going round and round in circles. So frustrating! Can anyone help?

37 REPLIES 37

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you're using a 4G router, you'll find it worth experimenting with different locations to get the best combination of 4G signal and WiFi coverage.

It might be worth mounting the router in the loft or on an upstairs windowsill, and running ethernet to a centrally located WiFi access point. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree, I found the best spot was in my hallway (don't have an upstairs).  I was then able to use another wifi extender with ethernet to "bridge" the broadband from the Mifi unit to my main switch using temporary ethernet cable. Worked well and I knew it wasn't forever.  The Mifi device needed a reboot every few days, but not too bad really for such a small USB powered unit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

4G router here used as a failover when VM goes down.

It's in the loft with its own WiFi turned off, ethernet down to the Draytek router.  The 4G download speed is nearly 4x greater in the loft than on the desk downstairs. Variable of course from day to day. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Good tip 😊

And what is even more annoying is I've sent several emails to the part of Virgin that informed me of the need for wayleave (below) and they have never had the coutesy of responding. VM appears to be staffed soley by under paid sales people and noone in the company has any technical skill.

Web Retail Wayleave [REMOVED]
[MOD EDIT: Private information has been removed from this post. 

Just tried a WiFi solution...No signal! We can only get 3G and even then its really bad reception.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Which network are you on? EE has the best coverage. 

- jpeg1

'3' I thought I'd try them out as they had a 30 day test and return policy. My phone is Vodaphone and that network sucks too.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

3 has good speeds, but the coverage hasn't caught up yet. Try EE. 

- jpeg1

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dogbolter wrote:

Yep, I've had to go for a cell based solution. No 5G, but excellent (allegedly) 4G. No other option.

Just on this specific point, 5G is not the panacea to good data service that marketers - and some networks - would have everyone believe. 4G is capable of excellent speeds, given a good network.

Heck, you can get better 4G service on some networks than others can manage on 5G. Just don't go thinking that the quality of coverage is dictated by the "G", it's not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks