cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Wayleave Issues

Dogbolter
Tuning in

A familiar story of our neigbour not giving permission for Virgin to install fibre across there front garden. They refuse to sign the wayleave. A plan of where they require digging of the cables would give me something to use to persuade the neighbor, but we are having difficulty establishing where this will be. If the agreement is refused can't virgin come up with an alternative route which does not require diggingin my neighbours garden?

I've not found a way of speaking to anyone in Virgin about this, going round and round in circles. So frustrating! Can anyone help?

37 REPLIES 37

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you can work out where the VM Catv cover is on the pavement, then can you think of a way around the neighbours garden?  If VM are insisting on a wayleave, perhaps there is no option available.  The Catv covers are usually on the footpath so have a look and see what you think.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Theres one either end of our block. We're three detached houses and we're in the middle. I guess the fiber could go over the other neighbore garden, but I can't find a way to get Virgin to respond. Its all a black hole.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If the cable between the two visible points passes your house, VM could dig the pavement outside yours and add a connection point. But this would cost more than crossing the neighbour's garden. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

My thoughts exactly! But of course Virgin haven't suggested that as an alternative, so seems they don't want to spend the money. And of course its impossible to speak to anyone about it.

I've spoken to neighbors and no one has a fiber connection, because its not available, so Virgin have a missed opportunity.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I don't blame your neighbours. Would you want your garden dug for a cable that may cause damage or restrict your future use?

It is extremely difficult to negotiate the installation process because VM just hand it over to a contractor who wants to do the job as cheaply as possible. 

Have you checked when Openreach will be installing FFTP to your area? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yeah, no date yet. So I registered for updates.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, it's all down to costs.  To dig the footpath will involve council permits etc. and as noted, more expense. I doubt if VM will think it's cost effective just to get one or two customers. 

If you have a good 4/5G signal, and are not a gamer, you might get a decent speed from a SIM based router?  You can get data SIMs on a 30 day rolling contract, so you're not tied in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yep, I've had to go for a cell based solution. No 5G, but excellent (allegedly) 4G. No other option.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I used a 4G Mifi Router for several months when waiting for Openreach to complete ducting in our area.  Not too bad really, just had to find a decent spot to locate it.