cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manhole Cover - Dropped Kerb

Mattyboy117
Joining in

Hello, I haven't got WhatsApp so I'll try this forum.

I am currently in the process of getting a dropped kerb installed for a driveway. I believe I have a Virgin Media manhole on the pavement where the dropped kerb is to be installed. The manhole cover has CAT V written on it.
So far I have obtain planning permission from the council but there are conditions, one of them being to contact the appropriate utility services to reach an agreement on the necessary alterations. The manhole will need to be adjusted to suit the slope in the pavement. I'm not sure who to contact, I've looked on this forum and have seen other people in the same position as me having difficulties getting in touch with the right people.
I think I may need one of your assessors to have a look. I'm guessing the council will also need written permission to allow the top of manhole to be altered for vehicular access for the parking space. I have someone who can work on pavements and is happy to alter the manhole to suit the dropped kerb if that's possible.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mat.

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It would help the relevant staff to respond if you posted a photo of the manhole, as there are several different types. 

Virginmedia would require their own contractors to do the work. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Mattyboy117
Joining in

Manhole cover - Virgin Media.jpgDropped kerb - Virgin Media.jpg

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Mattyboy117, and a very warm welcome to you!

I'd be happy to see what we can do to help assist with this request, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to me via our private messaging function @Mattyboy117

I'll forward your details to the relevant team/department to have a member of our team get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks for passing on the message.

I couldn't find much information about this topic so hopefully this will help others. Below is my update to anyone else that is in a similar position.

You might as well contact [REMOVED]@virginmedia.co.uk directly by email. They soon sent me a letter by email after David_Bn got in touch. Here is the main message of the letter:

If you have not already done so then we will require detailed plans for your site/works so our planning team can work from them to produce a detailed estimate of costs. We would also require a rough idea of when your works are due to begin.

If applicable please remember to include details about access to your site during construction.  This may affect our network prior to commencement of works.

Prior to any works involving Virgin Media apparatus commencing we must agree a specification of works and provide a detailed estimate of costs.  The costs incurred in producing the specification and detailed estimate are chargeable and for this scheme are Cost of Prep Fee £240 Inc VAT

Both the estimate and specification will be sent to you within 25 working days of when payment was received.

Please note:  This charge applies to each individual scheme requested.

This initial payment will cover the following: -

• Detailed site visit by an experienced planning engineer and their time taken producing the estimate.
  • Detailed specification of works.
  • Detailed breakdown of costs.

...So now I think I will continue with the pre application with the local council to get a date and hopefully detailed plans. Once I have these I will contact divworks again and pay the cost of prep fee. 

Hi Matty,

I have recently been approved for a drop kerb, our original plan was to miss the CATV cover but due to some constraints applied by the council we now need to get it strengthened or moved. 

I was wondering if Virgin gave you a quote for the work and if you would mind giving me a rough idea of how much it was? no problem if now, i was just hoping to have an idea of the final cost.

Cheers

ahojrian
Settling in

Hi, Virgin Media places a Big grey box right outside of my house, obstructing construction for a driveway. Now they’re asking for us to pay to get rid of it! Even though it was placed without permission or regard. The diversionary team are awful and are not responding to any emails or calls. My question is why should we pay for your nuisance outside my property and obstructing the homeowners of enjoyment to our property. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If they placed the box on your property without your permission that was wrong and they must remove it. 

If they placed in on the public pavement they should have asked permission from the Council. Have you checked with the Council?

Can you post a photo? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi, That’s what I was thinking too. I have yet to ask the council whether permission was asked. But it’s such a nuisance, I have not seen one of these outside anyone else’s house apart from mine. It’s causing such a delay to creating a driveway and selling our house. On top of that, there’s really awful writing written on it too

IMG_6192.jpeg