cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long cable run - install conduit

topoftheleague
Joining in

Hi team - long time lurker…

I’ve been trying my best to get an answer to this but virgin have been “challenging” over a number of months (4 to be exact). 

I have a non standard install. I live at the end of a small unadopted road where two of the other houses are supplied as normal - virgin is at the end of this road. To install to my property they would have to dig through a neighbours garden and disc cut the road. The neighbour whilst being very accommodating kept asking virgin what are they going to do with his path. No response. 

in short - I want to put a conduit in for them along the back of the property (going across a less obvious bit of the neighbours land) and avoiding the works (which also would be costly for virgin)

- how long is too long for virgin to pull a cable through conduit. We are looking at a route of 70m. 

- do virgin have requirements on the type of conduit as well as consents (obviously my neighbour is fine for this alternate solution..)

I’ve tried to be as level head as possible in this message - I’ve left out my extreme frustration with virgin wayleave being inefficient

cheers all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your prospects of completing this task are not very good based on past topics on here.

VM generally seems to avoid unadopted/private roads due to wayleave and permission issues as well as the cost involved to connect a single property. You may also be limited by the distances involved.

For a coax cable connection, I think I have read on here in the past that there is something like a 150m total distance limit from the cabinet to the customer (others may correct/amend this). Distance considerations may be less of an issue for a fibre connection.

I also have a dim recollection of a distant past topic on here where a customer dug a trench and/or installed a duct on a private road with a view to installing. In the end VM didn't bother for some reason IIRC so, even if your idea of DIY ducting was possible, you would need to ensure there were some watertight contractual guarantees in place to make sure VM followed through.

In some areas, VM has recently started using BT infrastructure to make connections (such as underground ducts). This is not that widespread it seems, based on topics on here, and is subject to even more VM 'confusion' in implementing such access.

Openreach is also installing fibre at a fast pace as an alternative to VM. You can check plans here

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

and

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

Also worth investigating alt-net options if they are available to you. If you live in a rural area, your other options may be limited.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your prospects of completing this task are not very good based on past topics on here.

VM generally seems to avoid unadopted/private roads due to wayleave and permission issues as well as the cost involved to connect a single property. You may also be limited by the distances involved.

For a coax cable connection, I think I have read on here in the past that there is something like a 150m total distance limit from the cabinet to the customer (others may correct/amend this). Distance considerations may be less of an issue for a fibre connection.

I also have a dim recollection of a distant past topic on here where a customer dug a trench and/or installed a duct on a private road with a view to installing. In the end VM didn't bother for some reason IIRC so, even if your idea of DIY ducting was possible, you would need to ensure there were some watertight contractual guarantees in place to make sure VM followed through.

In some areas, VM has recently started using BT infrastructure to make connections (such as underground ducts). This is not that widespread it seems, based on topics on here, and is subject to even more VM 'confusion' in implementing such access.

Openreach is also installing fibre at a fast pace as an alternative to VM. You can check plans here

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

and

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

Also worth investigating alt-net options if they are available to you. If you live in a rural area, your other options may be limited.

That’s very helpful - thank you. 

I have an open order now - so I’m going to try and convince the engineer on the pre install visit that pulling through pre installed conduit is best (and ask if there is a particular grade they want…) 

Will update…

You can get a good general idea on how VM goes about installing from the new build handbook

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

Your own requirements though may well be site-specific so you would need to get information for your own site from the VM tech who visits you to survey.