cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location and colour of outside box

BigBrand
Joining in

Hello,

We've just had the pre-install work done outside our house. We caught the engineer just as we were going out and he told us what he'd be doing - running a cable from a nearby telephone pole, which was fine. I asked if we could have it round the side of the house and he said he should be able to but wasn't sure.

Anyway, we got home and the cable goes onto the roof of our house and then down the front - right next to our front door, with a huge grey box against the brick colour house. This wasn't round the corner as I'd asked so I can only assume he wasn't able to do this (house is quite far from the telegraph pole), but the location he has run it down is far from ideal as it is probably the most visible part of the house from the street/driveway.

To add to this, the black cable running down isn't "taught" and looks like it's just dangling/wavy rather than intentionally fixed in place and very straight - hard to explain but hopefully you understand what I mean. Even worse, it pushes right up against our door number making it look less "intentional". Then the grey colour of the box stands out massively. Both of these issues wouldn't be much of an issue at all if it wasn't such a visible location.

Questions are:
- Will the VM engineer completing the install be able to move the location of the outside box?
- If not, can they at least tidy up the cable?
- Can the box be a different colour? Maybe brown?

Again I know these may sound superficial but it's such a prominent location it really doesn't look great.

3 REPLIES 3

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Can you post some photos.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

IMG_8241.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

Hi @BigBrand 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the placement of your omni box and for the loose cabling. 

Thank you for providing those images. I can see from this that your service is through our newly offered XGS-PON network and as such, you would need to speak directly with the dedicated team to arrange another engineer to visit to look to see if your request to move the box is possible and secure the cabling. 

If you're still waiting for your internal install, please call the preinstall team on 0800 052 1734, but if your internal services are already up and running, please call the team on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other number and the customer service agent will transfer you to the dedicated team. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley