cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

AFAIK, Virgin have not officially deployed IPv6 anywhere, including Ireland (I might be wrong about Ireland). Here in the UK in some areas you can see some RAs etc. if you go looking but it doesn't really work. The good news is that if you have one of the more recent hubs than a suitable tunnel (such as Hurricane Electric TunnelBroker) works just fine and achieves near native speeds. I have the tunnel configured on my router so as far as my home network goes it behaves just like native IPv6. I also get a /64 and a /48 as well and they work as expected.

How do you solve issues with geolocation and tunnel? most ipv6 enabled websites sent me to the lake in the US 😞
I mean a lot of websites redirect me to the US version instead of the UK

@ksim wrote:
How do you solve issues with geolocation and tunnel? most ipv6 enabled websites sent me to the lake in the US 😞
I mean a lot of websites redirect me to the US version instead of the UK

For those services that I care about I contact their support and explain the problem. Usually then they direct me to their IP geolocation provider and I submit a correction. There are not a huge number of those services so in most cases now all of my IPv6 global prefixes geo-locate to the UK (London).

If Virgin Ireland don't support IPv6 officially then they shouldn't provide a routable prefix! Most things will default to ipv6 if it's available.

Mostly, in a very naive way, ipv6 appears to work. But I do egress filtering as well as ingress filtering, I run a proxy server etc, and it looks like the only way I'm going to get IPv6 to work for me is to use NAT66 which is "really not nice!"

@tjw-ie wrote:

If Virgin Ireland don't support IPv6 officially then they shouldn't provide a routable prefix! Most things will default to ipv6 if it's available.

Mostly, in a very naive way, ipv6 appears to work. But I do egress filtering as well as ingress filtering, I run a proxy server etc, and it looks like the only way I'm going to get IPv6 to work for me is to use NAT66 which is "really not nice!"

If it seems to partially work, and Virgin say that IPv6 is supported on your connection (have they said that?), then you could try and take this up with their support (but, well, good luck with that...). If they haven't explicitly stated that it is available / working then, like in some places in the UK, the presence of RAs etc. sadly means nothing. If I were you I would start by clarifying if it is available / supported (assuming you can find anyone at VM who even knows want IPv6 is...).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tjw-ie wrote:

AFAIK, IPv6 is being used by Liberty Global in Ireland as users who have issues with the CGNAT(?) have to ask to be "downgraded" to IPv4 only.

We do get users from Ireland on this Forum from time to time with issues, but being a UK based support base, we can only give limited advice.  I don't believe there is an equivalent Forum setup for VM Ireland.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Most telecommunication issues are discussed on boards.ie in the Republic of Ireland.

There are a number of threads on IPv6, DS-Lite, NAS etc.

Search 'site:boards.ie Virgin Media IPv6' for potentially relevant discussions.

I have an interest in this as I am a Virgin Media customer in both the UK and RoI.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

DS-Lite is the last thing you want.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

This, it's a step backwards in terms of IPv4 connectivity

WiteWulf
On our wavelength

Too right, no one who's interested in using IPv6 productively should want or promote DS-Lite. I suspect oliverbrown1119 is here shilling for Alpha Infolab, rather than trying to engage in constructive discourse...