cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

And long may it remain on the back burner.

I want IPv6, but not what VM was proposing to deliver. I currently have an IPv6 HE tunnel that provides exactly what I need and the nearest to a dual stack that I think I will ever get.

VM please use the time you have, to reconsider the stupid DS-Lite proposal. We were constantly told you have plenty of IPv4 capacity. So why throw it away. (Or sell it)

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

CGNAT is going to come whether you like it or not. At least with DS-lite you can still receive inbound connections.

Google's v6 stats tend to be flat for the first 4 or so months of the year, for whatever reason. Perhaps we'll see something happening soon.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@het69 wrote:

Quite an apt time to add that I'm off to BT soon, now that FTTP is available in my street. I can't wait for the 10th anniversary to come round and still be in the same position. Smiley Very Happy

Slightly off topic I know but in praise of IPv6  .......

I now have 2 Xboxes running at home, both with Open NAT courtesy of BT's IPv6 ........  No messing with IPv4 port forwarding etc. etc. 

One advantage of having BT and VM (for work connection redundancy btw) circuits.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Country Report Internet Service Providers in United Kingdom

https://ipfinder.io/countries/GB

Virgin Media Limited

Any updates?

@fyonn wrote:

Any updates?

Morgaine has probably retired now and moved away to a island somewhere in Asia.  I know the intention was to wait it out for IPv6 deployment, but sometimes we grow old before things happen :P....

Looking on APNIC labs, I would say nothing has moved forward for users.  I could be looking at it wrong I guess.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

I feel like everything has stopped...

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@fyonn wrote:

I feel like everything has stopped...

But the world keeps spinning with IPv4.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something's happening though I don't know what it means. Seems like the number of VM ipv6 users has sagged from 22k to 15k over the last few weeks. Maybe it's a trial being rejigged?

@Anonymous wrote:

Something's happening though I don't know what it means. Seems like the number of VM ipv6 users has sagged from 22k to 15k over the last few weeks. Maybe it's a trial being rejigged?

There is a new firmware trial taking place.  It's possible (I am not part of either trial, IPv6, or the new one) that the new one is not a IPv6 enabled trial, as such anyone who joins that "might" be moved out of the IPv6 user pool.  If that is the case then that's a large setback as it would mean that the IPv6 changes are not going to be rolled out in the next batch of firmware updates.  People taking place in the new trial may let us know if it's not IPv6 enabled, but I would imagine VM would frown upon them telling us.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.