cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub questions from a new customer.

Mohg
Tuning in

Broadband was installed and activated yesterday.  All seems ok so far except for a couple of devices wired to the hub which seem slower than WiFi so thinking that could be my cables.

I have had a Hub 3.0 installed.  Is this an older hub as my neighbour is on the M500 package like me and has a Hub 5 ?  Is there much difference ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You have 14 days to cancel without penalty. You might be able to use that to argue for a Hub 5, but there isn't really much difference in the WiFi coverage. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Both those Hubs are suitable for M500. It seems to be random which you will get as a new customer. 

The cables should be Cat 5e or Cat 6.  If yours are basic Cat 5 then replace them. There could be other reasons for slow connections. What devices are connected by ethernet, and what speeds are you getting? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Mohg
Tuning in

PS5 maxes out around 520-530mbps, downloaded a game from PSN in minutes so that’s fine.

TV and PC seem to top out around 100mbps.  LAN ports are 1 Gbps but I haven’t tested or replaced the cables yet.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Many TVs only have 100Mbps ethernet connections, which of course is more than adequate. You'd need to check with your PC what speed it's connecting. 

At least you know that the broadband service is giving what you pay for. 

- jpeg1

Client62
Legend

In the Hub 3 menu there is a screen connected devices it shows if a network connected device is connected at 10/100/1000 Mb/s.  TVs & Bluray players are seldom fitted with high speed capability because they do not needed it. PC's & laptops that top out around the 85 - 95 Mb/s mark are limited by a 100Mb/s network connection.

To speed test the VM service your VM Hub + the Hub to your device use the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mohg wrote:

PS5 maxes out around 520-530mbps, downloaded a game from PSN in minutes so that’s fine.

TV and PC seem to top out around 100mbps.  LAN ports are 1 Gbps but I haven’t tested or replaced the cables yet.

It's also possible that you need to update your PC internet settings.

You don;t say what type of PC you have eg Windows, Chrome IOS, however the screenshot below how to check using Windows.

Press the Winows key and type in ethernet. Then select ethernet settings. Then check the  adapter settings. Double click Internet and it should show the speed as indicated on the left of the picture below.

If you need to change it change it, click Properties followed by Configure then scroll down as shown on the right and set the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

network speed.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Mohg
Tuning in

Thanks for all the feedback.  I will look into these suggestions.

Mohg
Tuning in

Had a look into the pc network settings and although it has a gigabit Ethernet card and my hub sees it as a 1gb connection as well I do not have a full duplex option.

WiFi so far has been very disappointing.  Really fast in the same room as the hub but go to the bedrooms at the rear of the house and it’s dire with hangs and dropouts compared to my old Sky broadband which was rock solid.

Maybe Sky was using the 2.4GHz band more efficiently, which is greater distance but slower speed.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

looks like you need a better wifi router and put hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------