cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a static IP?

VsUK
On our wavelength

I've got my hub all working after recently moving to Virgin that's now operating in modem mode because lets be honest, the Hub 3.0 is poor for anything else. 
Anyways, I have home CCTV amongst other things that require a static IP to set up a connection from outside my network to check on things & so forth. I always assumed Virgin provided static IPs only, but I noticed after a hub reboot moving to modem mode, my IP changed & messed everything up again. 

So, how do I get a static IP, because this is an absolute must?

15 REPLIES 15

JTC652
On our wavelength

Can you not use a dynamic DNS service?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You get a different IP if you are in modem mode or router mode.

You won't get a static IP on a VM residential connection but the IPs that are allocated are very 'sticky'. Most people report keeping the same IP for a long time (months and years) without it changing.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Just to add I believe a HUB change also means a new IP.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If the hub is in modem mode then you are using a router, in which case set a fixed IP address within that router's reservation range for any device which needs it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

If the hub is in modem mode then you are using a router, in which case set a fixed IP address within that router's reservation range for any device which needs it.

They are referring to a Public Static IP.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Use a DDNS 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The CCTV must have a internal IP address and it needs to be fixed. Then you use a DDNS service to create a custom domain name that points to your home network. Once you have done this, you can forward the necessary ports on your router to your CCTV's internal IP address and access it using your DDNS domain name. So, if your custom domain name is mycctv.no-ip.com and you're using the HTTP port 8080, you would need to enter mycctv.no-ip.com:8080 in your web browser to access it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

^yes all of that good stuff😋

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Try a nslookup on your public IP - it returns a customer host name.