cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel installation

Yerkes
Joining in

I signed up as a new customer but the installation has been postponed twice, and I can't afford the delay nor not knowing when the service will actually be installed. So I want to cancel the installation and am within the 14 day cooling-off period. As the service hasn't yet started I've been informed by customer services (via a phone call) that the contract can't actually be cancelled - this seems odd as the contract states that I can cancel within 14 days of the receipt of the contract.

Leaving that aside, they've put me through three times to their installation cancellation team. First time the call was dropped by the team. Second time the agent said she couldn't hear me - I suspect she had muted her speaker as I had been chatting with the previous agent 20 seconds earlier. Third time I got put through to an internal payments team. 

I'm now trying to get through on the phone for the fourth time, and have also started an online chat. In both I'm in an interminable queue.

So I'm in this Hotel California situation - apparently checked out, but apparently never able to leave. Has the contract really been cancelled? And what do I do about the installation?

6 REPLIES 6

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

The 14 days starts from when the service is activated, so just let them continue to fail to install. If your confirmation email said the services would go live by a certain date then you are also entitled to compensation for every day beyond that date, as well as extra money for appointments where an engineer didn't show up, or they cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.

Some people have funded their entire contract period with another provider with the compensation that VM had to pay them for their lack of competence.

So my advice would be to let it get installed so all the physical work is complete, all the permits, the digging etc. is done, and then cancel during the cooling off period.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, that's right. 

If you can't wait any longer, go with another supplier and let VM install when they finally get round it. Then cancel, which you can do by following the instructions provided. The compensation should be automatic, but if you don't get it come back here for advice.

If you decide to try VM again in the future, it will be much easier because they will have everything ready. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Yerkes 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your installation. Can I ask if you have spoken to the teams since your last post or are you still in need of assistance.

Yerkes
Joining in

Thanks all for your advice - appreciate all the useful tips. I decided that I can't manage all the uncertainty and potential hassle of having to go through compensation claims, etc. and it's just much easier to revert to my previous ISP. Pity, but at least I've never had cause to complain about their customer service.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's entirely understandable. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

We are sorry to see you will be leaving us.

If you need anything else please do let us know. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?