cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I move my router to another already installed internal box?

Walthall32
Joining in

Hi, when we moved into the current property there were 4 internal white boxes (hallway, lounge, dining room (used as a second lounge and what we call the Snug). With our installation they just shoved everything behind the TV in the lounge ( so V6 box and router working off a splitter) and the other internal boxes were unused.

It's always annoyed me having the router behind the TV as you are constantly advised this is the worst position to have it, yet this seems to be the standard installation practice for Virgin.

Anyway making some changes at home and I was wondering can I move the router to the hallway? Can I just connect to the existing internal box myself and will it continue to work or do I need an engineer to come out?

Broadband/TV/Phone
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's unlikely that all those points are connected to the incoming cable, and moving the Hub may need signal level adjustments to be made. 

For £25 you can have a technician come out to move the Hub to a better place, and check out what all the cables are doing. It's about the only thing VM does that could be called a bargain. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's unlikely that all those points are connected to the incoming cable, and moving the Hub may need signal level adjustments to be made. 

For £25 you can have a technician come out to move the Hub to a better place, and check out what all the cables are doing. It's about the only thing VM does that could be called a bargain. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for the response - any idea how I go about booking a technician?

Broadband/TV/Phone

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can phone in to customer service, or wait here for a staff member to pick this up. 

- jpeg1

Hello Walthall32

Thanks for posting in regards to relocating the Hub, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

We can see members of the forum have reached out with possible solutions, if none of these have resolved the issue we're happy to arrange a visit from an engineer to relocate the Hub. Please be aware that as this is a non fault call out there would be a standard charge of £25.

If you're interested in discussing and arranging this option, let us know here and we can assist further.

Rob