cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect virgin media broadband to this wall socket?

RY75
Tuning in

Hello I am thinking of ordering a fast broadband package with virgin media. I have checked online and it says it is available at my address and that I can do quick start. I would just like to know if the sockets I have in my home will enable me to connect to them and if I should be able to get up and running by myself or if they are outdated and I would need an engineer. One box looks like telephone with an ntl logo on and the other is unbranded and has 2 screw thread coaxial connectors coming out the bottom. (See photos) also I would be interested what speeds I could get up to with this. Thanks for any help. 

IMG_8756.jpeg

IMG_8762.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Neither of the outputs are marked, so it is quite possible the box contains a standard splitter & not a diplexer. If it is a splitter both of them will work. 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The box with the two screw connections is the one.  The QuickStart cable will push onto the TV one.  However bear in mind the cable may be disconnected elsewhere, you will not know until you plug your kit in. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The other box is redundant now so you could remove it if you want to. The phone if you have one will plug into the broadband Hub. 

As for speed, you can probably have up to 1Gbps if you really need it. The available speeds will show when you place an order. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t know which one of the two will be for tv so I guess I’d just have to try one and then the other if it doesn’t work? Will the cable push on or screw on coz of my threaded connectors? Thanks

Thank you for your help. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Neither of the outputs are marked, so it is quite possible the box contains a standard splitter & not a diplexer. If it is a splitter both of them will work. 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Yes, it's a push fit for kit supplied as QuickStart.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection