cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband causing problems with streaming services

RB10
Joining in

During the afternoon of 2nd Feb 2024, I tried to use the Channel 4 streaming service on my TV, which would not work. I then discovered that of the main streaming apps, including Apple TV, only Netflix and You Tube worked  

Further investigation revealed that the problem, was common to other devices. It seemed however that my Virgin Broadband was functioning normally with good speed.  

I am in the fortunate position of having a second broadband connection via the Open Reach infrastructure, so I tried using this instead and everything worked perfectly.

The problem was therefore somehow related to my Virgin Media Broadband.

Having run out of time to fault find Virgin that day, I went online on the morning of 3rd Feb. I followed the fault checking procedure, which led to a hard reset of my Media Hub 3.0. The power light is now permanently Red. The online diagnostic states that the connection is normal and broadband of reasonable speed seems to be available.

However, the situation remains of many common streaming apps, either not or barely functional via Virgin Broadband. I am therefore not getting what I am paying for.          

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Log into your online account and go to "security" and inactivate"the "Childsafe" function.  See if that sorts it

Also if the Hub3 light is red in normal router mode - it needs replacing.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Childsafe was not in use. The Hub was supposed to be in router mode (no wi-fi) but wasn’t, even though the Red (or is is Magenta?) light was on. After a further power on/off reset or two, I was able to put the Hub back into Router mode and at this time the streaming services seem normal. I haven’t understood the problem, except that the issue was definitely with my Virgin connection.  I didn’t see a white light on the hub at any point, so perhaps it faulty in some way?   

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey RB10,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with the Channel 4 app, we're glad that you could get this resolved with a reboot. Which light is currently showing on your hub? If the light is red, is your router hot to the touch? 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

No the hub doesn't seem hot ,except that the top plate is midly warm. The surface temperature of the router is circa 27C at an ambient of about 20C. The light looks red to me, not magenta. Is the difference obvious? It seems to be functioning normally with the expected speed.  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The led should be white on a Hub 3 when in Router mode.  If the red LED persists after a pinhole reset, the Hub should be swapped out. This red LED is the overheat warning and should be working correctly. If you wait here a couple of days a VM Mod should pick this up and discuss directly with you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks