cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area checker

mole12345
Joining in

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a house but retaining VM is important so I checked on the postcode checker and the service is available to the new address. My question is, how accurate is this or is it still subject to survey? They house has no pavement outside (stone wall direct to road). I see no CATV point on the road but there are telco cabinets across the road and a CATV point outside the house next door (which does have a pavement). 

13 REPLIES 13

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The postcode check is not a guarantee, so a check by what VM call a 'spotter' would be a good idea. The Sales office may be able to arrange that, or one of the forum staff here. It might be that a connection to the next door's pavement point will be the easiest. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to add, you won't get an absolute guarantee of an installation. When VM accept your order for the new address (or a move request if you are already on VM) they will order a subcontractor to put in the cable from the road to the house. If for some reason they find the cable route is too difficult or too expensive, they may decide to cancel the installation. This is unusual, but it does happen. I only mention it because you made it clear you needed certainty.

You may like to read through this forum to understand more about potential installation problems. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for reply. I need this for work and the BT equivalent in this area is rubbish so not an option. Tried calling them about this 'spotter' mentioned above but no luck yet. I'd like a proper survey if necessary and would pay if there was a way to get a definitive answer.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Wait for a staff person to pick this up. I believe they can organise it. 

Have you checked with the Openreach site when they will be bringing FTTP to your postcode? 

- jpeg1

Thanks for that, just checked, superfast is available ultrafast not available yet. I do want to stick with VM though as performance is great and need to keep a very old ntlworld mail address as well. Here's what it looks like from the road, house is behind wall obscured by trees. Neighbour has CATV point on pavement to left of gates.

house3.PNG

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unless that is a VM chamber in front of your wall by the smaller road sign, I think the contractor will want to connect to the neighbour's point. That would likely mean digging up the pavement in front of the gates, or crossing the neighbour's garden which would need a wayleave. They always use the quickest, easiest route that the operative chooses on the day, and since there is little or no communication between VM and the contractor you shouldn't accept any prior promises from VM. You'd really need to be there on the day to ensure it's done the way you want. Some people have come home from work to find an unpleasant surprise. 

- jpeg1

It's a drain cover, I think. If they go along the pavement (most obvious route, I think) how do they cover the disruption to the neighbours gate access? Is that covered by the wayleave process? Many years ago they let me run my own cable through the loft. Not sure if that's still allowed but I do intend to be there.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If its a public pavement they will need permission from the Council, that's a simple process. The job to dig, put in a conduit and fill in will happen in one day. They will have a board to cover it if the neighbour needs access. 

If they decide a route through the neighbour's garden is preferred, they will send you a wayleave form for you to get the neighbour to sign it. He's not obliged to of course. 

- jpeg1

mole12345
Joining in

I had a second viewing at this house today and there was a BT engineer working in a cabinet over the road so I asked him for his opinion. Looking around we found a piece of green trunking in the corner of the driveway. He thinks this may be VM fibre ducting but not certain. It is corrugated plastic and a bright lime green. Does this sound like it could be VM?