cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

channel optimisation - why no 160mhz

dudload
Tuning in

Hi,

I recently received a wifi pod to boost the signal in my garden - one of the things i've noticed is that you need to have "one wifi" (or something similar) that needs a single SSID but also channel optimisation enabled.

I'm not too bothered about either to be honest, but one v annoying thing is that channel optimisation defaults to 80MHZ max on 5GHZ and not 160MHZ, this means that  i can't get the full 1GB over wifi that i used to get.

Anything that can be changed in config to enable this, or a firmware update?

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If 160Mhz of 5GHz channel bandwidth is so important for Garden Wi-Fi it is very strange to be considering using any type of Wi-Fi Repeater / VM Pods as these will more than halve the WI-Fi speed per repeater hop and exacerbate latency and jitter no end.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you really want to use 160Mhz I would strongly advise to purchase your own WiFi access points. My Ubiquiti/Unifi WiFi 7 Pro WAP works very well in my garden on 160Mhz as I type this, but then I am using 6Ghz channel.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I don't need 160mhz for the garden, but to get the signal in the garden I need to lose the 160mhz channel width that gives me 1gbps speeds in the inside of the house.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

VM's locked down Pods and the interfering Connect app are not for you.
Return the VM Pod, uninstall the VM Connect app from all devices ASAP.

A retail Wireless Repeater or better a Wi-Fi Access point serving the garden area
would enable you to revert to the VM Hub to 160MHz channel width for full speed in the house.