cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi not connecting to work laptop

Campsiefells77
Joining in

Hello everyone, 

I had broadband installed earlier this week and have been having issues with connecting to my wife’s work laptop.

The laptop ‘sees’ the router but refuses to connect, or briefly connects and then drops out. The same happens when I try an Ethernet connection.

The router appears to be fine and every other device in my home - including my own work laptop - is connecting fine.

I have rebooted the router several times and contacted VM to no avail. I wondered whether anyone had any advice or ideas?

Thanks! 

13 REPLIES 13

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Check if VM Web Safe is on and blocking VPN connections. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/web-safe

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Client62
Legend

Check if the laptop is getting a valid DHCP response from the VM Hub.

When your have attempted to connect via Wi-Fi or network cable,
what is the IP  / Mask / Gateway / DNS configuration of the laptop ?

Thanks - I did have a look at that earlier in the week but have turned it off again. Unfortunately it’s not worked - still says ‘no internet, secured’ on the WiFi drop down.

Thanks for responding - I might need a bit of help in figuring out the set up of the configuration to reply - this goes beyond my IT knowledge a good bit!

When the laptop is connected to the HUB open up a command prompt (Click on the start menu then type cmd).

Once the window opens (black with white text) type ipconfig and see what IP address is listed.

Example:

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As its a "work" laptop... is that one supplied to her by an employer - or just one she uses to do her own work?

In either case (particularly the first one) is it running a VPN by any chance?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Okay, thanks - It lists the IP address similar to the example you posted. Presumably this means I’m getting a valid response from the router?

It’s one provided by her employer and there is a VPN - but she has to log into this and that is after she has logged into the laptop and is connected to the web.

Something like 192.168.0.x?

What does the default gateway show?