cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi speeds and the Virgin app

jackydog
Tuning in

I have virgin m250 and hub 5 and the speed (ookla)on a 3m wired connection to a pc is 277 Mbps-no complaints!
However a wireless connection to an upstairs pc(with usb wifi dongle) is around 40Mbps and a wireless connection to a pc in the same room as the router (intel 3160 wifi chip ) is around 45Mbps
The virgin app on my phone shows 250Mbps in every room around the house
The wifi speed of the upstairs pc especially varies wildly and often causes buffering on video playback
Can any one explain why the  speeds on the virgin app on my phone  are so much higher than the ookla figures on the pcs?

3 REPLIES 3

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

That chip was last available in 2018. Could the slower speeds be down to slower 2.4 GHz band wifi connections?

Best to stick the hub in modem mode and use your own better networking kit and maybe get new faster computers as required. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Client62
Legend

"The Virgin app on my phone shows 250Mbps" ( as the speed to from the VM cable to the VM Hub ).

Seeing 40Mb/s on Wi-Fi typically means the connection is on the 2.4GHz band, the reasons are distance from the VM Hub and / or the Wi-Fi USB adaptor lack support for the 5GHz band.

jackydog
Tuning in

Thanks for replies guys-I updated my wifi dongle and connected on 5GHz band and speeds are now in 200Mbs range!