cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi not working

Peter4858
On our wavelength

Since Sunday our virgin media gig 1 hub has been flashing intermediately and also going on and off, we had an email from virgin media stating that they would be doing essential maintenance work on Tuesday, this morning it is still the same very very limited. If sometimes at all no Internet access no App Store available and no streaming services. Also The Alexa is also not working so no Internet radio this is not good virgin media and I hope that this will reflect on next months subscription charges. As at the moment, it would be quicker to send a letter with a carrier pigeon , I would appreciate it if someone from virgin media would get in touch with me to tell us what earth is going on. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for all your help, you should work for VM I think they need all the help they can get. The crazy thing is as the day has gone on. I can stream the apps Apple TV are coming back it’s as though it’s coming back in chunks that sounds weird once again. thanks for your help,

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Peter4858
On our wavelength

Did a post this morning not sure if it went through as we are having big problems with our Wi-Fi still can’t stream anything and can’t use the Apple TV box. Will someone from virgin media please get back in touch with me as this is now getting very irritating thank you. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have ypu tried the local faults line ... - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, and thanks for getting back to me. I have just rang that number it did a check and it told me that there is no service issues in my area which is wrong because I cannot stream any of the apps. Also when I switch over to Apple TV I can still not play anything just keeps hanging. I’ve also tried it on Disney+ Paramount plus, I have rebooted the hub so many times I’ve lost count so there is a big issue. Thanks for giving me that number I will see if someone from virgin media will actually get back to me to tell me what an earth is going on everything was fine up until the weekend. We was then told that they would be doing essential maintenance work yesterday. I think they still need to be doing the work because it is not right. Thanks 

regards Pete

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If nothing is showing on that number or the service status website... then issues are down to you specifically - or a few users near you - in whiich case the primary route is to try calling it in as a fault - free on 150 (VM line)  or 0345 454 1111 others (national rate). See what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take a few days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for all your help, you should work for VM I think they need all the help they can get. The crazy thing is as the day has gone on. I can stream the apps Apple TV are coming back it’s as though it’s coming back in chunks that sounds weird once again. thanks for your help,

Good morning John, I hope you’re well. Thanks again for your help just one quick question as I don’t really understand upload and download speech I have gig 1 I did a Speedtest it tells me download is 495 and upload is 105. I don’t know if this is good or not any help would be appreciated . Regards Pete.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well... it depends on a number of factors.  Your up speed at ~100 is spot on and so you are getting the full 1GB  network connection - albeit down speeds are about half what they should be - so....

How did you do the speedtest - was it on wifi ?  If so... try it again on a different browser (not an App) sat close to the Hub - test at www.speedtest.net on a device that has the spec to actually go to 1GB.

If still low do it as above on a computer/laptop connected directly into the Hub on a cat5e (or better) ethernet cable.

Your devices need to be wifi6 enabled - otherwise if they are Wifi5 they will realistically always max out around 500 Mbps - so are they ?

Report back what they deliver.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks John, see I knew you’re the man , will try and have a go tomorrow, but have quite a bit going on tomorrow and wife’s birthday the weekend so it might not get a chance to do it until possibly Monday as as soon as I find anything I will let you know many thanks again. Have a great weekend

regards Pete