cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is modem mode unstable?

Andybeech1993
Joining in

Hi,

Has anyone else found on the hub 5 the modem mode is unstable. I have connected a tplink ax 

19 REPLIES 19

Andybeech1993
Joining in

Well for some reason it deleted half the context.

I have a tp link ax20 connected to hub 5 In modem mode, which worked find with the hub5 in router mode but since swapping to modem mode it has become unstable.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve never used my Hub5 in router mode, always in modem mode and it’s been very stable. When in router mode the hub has much more work to do, DHCP server, WiFi and network switch. Router mode should be much better as all hubs have a low powered CPU. Have you taken a look at your circuit stats?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

+1 for @Tudor    I use my Hub 5 in modem mode as well, and it's always performed well.  Well, except for the previous one that had a hardware fault .....   😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I had an ax6000 connected to mu hub 5 in modem mode. Forever losing wifi connectivity especially my samsung phone. Sold the ax6000, hub 5 now in router mode and honestly 100% better than before. Yet to lose wifi at all. Check out tp link forums and you'll see

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds unfortunate really.  I use a non wifi router with 3 PoE wifi access points, and never have any wifi issues.  The Hub 5 is in modem mode.  I guess every house requires a different solution.  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Forever losing wifi connectivity especially my samsung phone."
Then it was the WiFi on your router. I have never been a fan of retail routers that contain all components. I use a business grade router, that is just a router, and separate Wireless Access Points. When one component fails you do not have to replace everything and also it means you can upgrade your system slowly instead of one big jump.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andybeech1993
Joining in

Thanks for the replies, how do I check the circuit stats?

It's just odd how it was stable in router mode on the hub 5 and my devices were connected to the ax20 with no loss of connection?

So far in my WhatsApp chat with vm the person seems against 3rd devices as all they told me to do is go back to router mode there for completely ignoring the fault.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.
    • Do NOT post photos or screen shots they will be rejected as they contain MAC addresses. The board software will automatically change MAC addresses to **:** if done as above.

Tudor