cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for previous owners service to be disconnected?

ylime
Joining in

Hello! First time poster so I'm not sure how this works yet but hopefully someone here has some advice!

I moved into a new flat (as a tenant) at the end of last month, and contacted the moving team to get my WiFi moved to my new flat with me

I was told that there were active services at my new address, and would have to wait for the previous owner to cancel in order to get my move started.

I provided proof of residence as requested, and was told this would let them disconnect the previous service.

I didn't hear anything back, so contacted the team again, and was told (on the 31st) that they would "periodically monitor the account", and that it might take 24-48 working hours for me to get an update.

I havent heard anything, and have now been without Internet at home for 3 weeks 😞

Is this normal? I don't want to keep bugging the moving team but I've provided all the information I apparently needed to so I'm not sure what else to do?

I was told they wouldn't be able to pause my contract either, as "we can only disconnect the services at the old address if we can already book the installation across your new address", so I'm basically paying for a month's worth of Internet I can't use 😞

Any advice would be much appreciated! (And thanks for taking the time to read my huge post!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ylime 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to move your services over to your new address as there is still an active account. 

If an account holder has not advised us that they have moved out, the team actions a 'goneaway' process to try to get in touch with the account holder to see if we can process their move.  

We'll need to investigate this further at our side so we can get all the information confirmed and escalate this to the team if needed. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person ought to respond here soon.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ylime 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to move your services over to your new address as there is still an active account. 

If an account holder has not advised us that they have moved out, the team actions a 'goneaway' process to try to get in touch with the account holder to see if we can process their move.  

We'll need to investigate this further at our side so we can get all the information confirmed and escalate this to the team if needed. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Acxyle
Tuning in

Hi man, I have the same issue. I just moved into my new flat one week ago.

Virgin Media told me the same thing when I tried to place an order. That is, my address is activate, and looks like I'm not the service owner. So I can not place any order unless the ongoing service has been cancelled.

I think mine is worse because you already have an account and I don't have one. Because I'm new to Virgin Media I must order a new SuperHub first then I can have my account.

They also told me they would try to contact the previous tenant to verify that, but I queried that because no response after one week. They did not ask me to provide documents to prove I'm the current of this address. I want to send them documents to prove that I'm living here but I don't know how.

I also tried to find and get in touch with the previous tenant via letting agent and student communities. However, not been any progress, until now.

I hope to know any updates from you about this so perhaps your experience may help me.

Wishes to you and anyone who encountered a similar problem, except those irresponsible tenants

Hey! Sorry to hear its happened to you too!

I'd suggest making your own post like I did!

Carley from the VM team found my post and helped me out through private messages on here.

I got put in contact with a manager who got it sorted out super quickly.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Hi! 

Thanks! I will post it and wait for someone to save me. I really need broadband service because I need to work remotely. This is an unexpected problem for me, terrible.

Thank you again!