cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very frequent internet drops and slow speeds for over a week

Appleby1
Joining in

Hi, 

I have very frequent drops in internet and slow speeds, this has been happening for a week. I use I a wired connection to device with wifi options off. Any help very much appreciated as the drops are enough that I disconnect from a work portal each time this happens. 

Screenshot 2024-04-09 134514.pngScreenshot 2024-04-09 135757.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like the Hub is getting the full speed for the 250Mb Tier?  Also your wired device looks to be limited to 10/100Mb connection?

You will need to setup a BQM here  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  Post a link to the shared graph for comment.  Thanks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like the Hub is getting the full speed for the 250Mb Tier?  Also your wired device looks to be limited to 10/100Mb connection?

You will need to setup a BQM here  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  Post a link to the shared graph for comment.  Thanks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Client62
Legend

For a wired connection to max at 93Mb/s indicates a 100Mb/s connection is limiting the speed.

Connections often fallback to 100Mb/s due to a network cable fault, it may also result in service drops.

Sdugoten
Joining in

Having same slowness issue today.  It seems there are some hubs are dead when I do a trace route.  Download speed drop below 0.1Mbps while upload speed seems normal.

I have called the fault team but they said they don't see any problem. (Of course they didn't see it because the connection indeed is up, but just the speed is extremely slow.)

20240409_140713.jpg

20240409_140707.jpg

20240409_140809.jpg

  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not all routers respond when running trace routes.  This is quite normal.  Get the BQM up and running and use the FULL tests on samknows for speed testing. Also post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub

20240409_153751.jpg

I just signed up BQM, but the graph is still empty right now, I guess need to wait ?

For samknows speed test, it doesn't recognize my router which most likely because it's not a consumer grade router, it is a commercial grade Netgate pfsense router. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Okay, Samknows only works with the Hub in Router mode.  The samknows client is baked into the Hubs firmware.  Also VM will insist on the Hub being in Router mode as well for all their troubleshooting.  They do not support any 3rd party Routers, so you will be on your own troubleshooting pfsense. 

How does a direct wired device perform when using the Hub as your Router with e.g. a laptop?

The router + the Hub has been working for the last 2 years.  Although VM have complete blackout from time to time, but that is area wide issue so nothing can be done anyway and need to wait for their engineer to fix it.  However, it's a bit different today.  The Internet is working fine, internet speed on some websites also have no issue.  However, on some websites it's extremely slow.

That's the reason why I started to use speedtest to test against different test site and see what's going on.  Just like what I experienced, some test site on Speedtest is very fast while some are extremely slow.  It's seems like the slow speed only affect download, but upload is working fine across all test site.

Client62
Legend

When Downstream is poor make a call to 0800 561 0061 and see if there is a known fault in your street.

Also check the Hub Upstream / Downstream connection stats are in the normal ranges.

Do be open to examine all of your own kit, many many days have been wasted by folks that
asserted their kit was perfect only later to find a faulty cable or whatever needed attention.

It's a bit more complicated that you might think.  

The download and upload speed is working fine on some sites while others are just painfully slow.  Both speedtest are done within 5 minutes.  One test site is Swish Fibre while the other is Zen Internet.  Both located in London.  As you can see one is extremely fast while the other is painfully slow.

At least I can proved that there is nothing wrong within my LAN because I am able to reach very fast speed on some website.  That rule out there are issues within my LAN.

From what i can see so far, I believe some hubs along the way from Virgin Media to some destination is having network issue.  If you happen not hitting those affected hubs alone the way, you will be fine.  If you hit those affected hubs alone the way to your destination, the download speed will be VERY bad.

20240409_170606.jpg

sss.jpg